1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Got a broody hen, put fertile meatie eggs under her?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by DenverBird, Apr 15, 2011.

1. DenverBird

DenverBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    West Denver Burbs
    Posted this to the colorado thread but I thought this would be a good place too.

Q1 - I've got a broody BO hen and am thinking about putting some fertile eggs under her to hatch. Does anyone have or know where I could get some fertile eggs close to Denver (I-70 & Wadsworth), either for a batch of CX meaties or some heavy DPs that are good layers with a calm disposition, maybe with an EE or three in the mix?

Q2 - How many eggs could I expect one hen to hatch out?

Q3 - Is there a possibility that she'd lose interest in the eggs half way through incubation or can she sense that little chicks are forming and that she needs to stay on them?

Thanks,

-DB

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    As far as I know, you can't buy cornishX eggs. but you could get some chicks and put them under her once her "dummy" eggs are about to hatch (get some dummy eggs to put under her) A BO could probably hatch out about 10, but maybe more, IDK I doubt a BO would lose interest, I hear they are pretty good setters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by