Got a candling question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mommiex2xx, Jul 5, 2010.

1. mommiex2xx

mommiex2xx Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2010
    I set my eggs on June 23. Today would be the 12th day. When I candled them what i thought to be the air cell had veins in it. I couldnt see in 90% of my eggs a air cell but could see a few movements in some of the eggs and in others its so dark I couldnt see much. My question is are there supposed to be veins in the air cell or could the air cell be small and I dont see it. Im new to this so I dont know.

2. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I've not noticed veins in the air cells of my eggs. Also, i've tossed out eggs that because I couldn't tell what was going on inside of them, then when I opened them to see what went wrong there where live empryos in them. Now If I'm not sure I let them stay till either I can tell or they're late to hatch. I'd rather leave them there than throw away a chick.

3. mommiex2xx

Jun 24, 2010
    Ok I just candled again and I saw air cells in the big end of the eggs. So I think im ok.

4. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    Good luck. I've emptied my incubator and the last was 2 quail eggs. I've never had much luck with quail as far as hatching goes. I have 2 chicks but they are lazy. I'm hoping to either buy or trade for some chicks instead of trying to hatch them out myself.

5. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    EMVickrev has not had an egg explode yet, I think XD

Typically you will not see veins in the air sac. Which side do you place the 'candle' against, small or large side? Sometimes placement of the light can make a huge difference in what you see. If you place the candle just off center of the large end of the egg, even in a new egg, you should be able to see a clear air sac. It's possible that if you move your light around, you may find a migrated air sac. This indicates that the air sac has detatched from its normal location (at the tippy top of the large side). This usually occurs due to rough handling, but can also happen if the eggs are stored wrong (ie, small side up).

Candle it again when you can, and make sure to move the light over every bit of the egg to see if you can find an air sac in the wrong location. If you do, mark the egg and be sure that when you lock down, the air sac is on top, and be sure to watch this egg very carefully for pips in the wrong place, as the chick will be at higher risk for drowning.

6. mommiex2xx

Jun 24, 2010
    This is my first time doing it. We got the eggs from a animals auction. So we will see what happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by