Got a chick in the oven

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by boxermom, May 25, 2010.

1. boxermom

boxermom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Spencer,IA
    I bought some eggs at auction. Unfortunately they were really scrambled in the shipping. Hatch day was supposed to be 4 days ago. They were under a broody. I didn't expect good results as only 1 had an intact air cell. I went out yesterday to throw them away when I saw a pip. I stuck it back under mom and watched her throughout the morning. Had to work yesterday afternoon so was unable to check until last evening. We are also having very hot/humid weather. Well. mom had kicked all the eggs around. The pipper was still cheeping so I stuck it back under her. I wish I would have helped it hatch, but I figured I would do more harm than good. Well, the little guy died in the shell. There was another one that was pipping, so I helped it most of the way out. It was cheeping and just needed to push out of the shell, so I put it back under mom. She left it. I picked it up and brought it to the oven. I helped it out of the shell the rest of the way. It is still alive. I'm keeping the oven around 95*. I also have some water in there. This worked for a poult a few weeks ago, but he was already out of the shell. Is there something else I should be doing?

2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Instead of the oven, do you have a lamp you can put it under? That way you could put down bedding, food, and water and let it run around some. Sounds like you're doing the best you can--what a shame the mother didn't do a better job!

3. boxermom

Feb 22, 2009
    Spencer,IA
    It's really not her fault. Like a said, I didn't expect the eggs to hatch. All my other clutches hatched 3 days early. On their hatch day, I sneaked 2 silkies under her. She accepted them and continued to sit for 5 more days. I thinks she's just tired. I haven't put the chick in a box, because it is still wet. If it dries off and gets active, I'll sneak it under her tonight.

4. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    If the oven is working, then you're probably right to leave it there. Mine doesn't go that low on temp. When I've had to help a duckling or for other reasons, I sometimes take a wet duck out of the incubator and place it in a small box with a blanket on the bottom and a brood lamp over the top. I've measured the temps and they can get in excess of 110, so I regulate by raising or lowering the lamp. It works great, and when the baby is ready I transfer it to the other brooder. Like I said, use the oven if it's working for you--just wanted to mention another way of doing it too. [​IMG]

5. boxermom

Feb 22, 2009
    Spencer,IA
    Thanks. My oven doesn't go that low either. I've got the meat thermometer in there and open and close it, turn it off and on as needed. He's still kicking. [​IMG]

6. boxermom

Feb 22, 2009
    Spencer,IA
    How long does it take for a chick to dry off? I've been babysitting the oven for the past 3 hrs or so. He's cheeping and his eye is open. (can't see the other one) He's still pretty floppy. His fuzz is drying, but is stiff. How do they get fluffy?

7. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Sometimes when they have a hard time getting out into the world, they don't seem to ever get fluffy, or at least not for several days. I tend to judge their readiness for the main brooder by their ability to walk around. Once they are reasonably coordinated, I pop them in the regular brooder regardless of their fluffiness (or not). Some folks wash them gently in warm water, and that helps them to fluff up once they dry from that.

8. boxermom

Feb 22, 2009
    Spencer,IA
    He's resting now. Not very coordinated yet, but I'm hopeful.

9. boxermom

Feb 22, 2009
    Spencer,IA
    I put "her" under Mama last night. Watched for awhile and it seemed ok. I went out early this am and found her behind Mama, cold but still alive. I stuck her in my shirt and came in the house to heat up the oven again. It didn't take very long for her to perk up and hop off the towel. Thankfully, the oven was off and she wasn't burned. She is now in a makeshift brooder. I dipped her beak and she drank. I haven't seen her eat yet. My broodies have always done all this work, so I'm not sure if she is progressing as she should. She didn't hatch herself. I did most of it as a last ditch effort to get one chick out of these shipped eggs. Someone said she'll be tired for a couple of days. Should I be concerned that she is still unsteady? She is pooping, but had pasty butt this am. I cleaned her off and she's doing ok in that area. Anything else I should do? I'll put ACV in her water when I put the jar in there. Right now, it is just the tray. Crumbles are on the paper towels.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by