Got a coop done, babies in and run in the works

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CypressValleySouthern, Aug 24, 2010.

1. CypressValleySouthern

CypressValleySouthern Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2010
    Driftwood, Texas
    Thanks to my lurking tendecies, I got a lot of great info from here. . We built the coop 8x8. I used what we had on hand, repurposing some siding from my DH's supply to expand his shop. [​IMG]. I had tin for the roof on hand. Even "found" some plywood in the shop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    My youngest son and husband working on the coop.

At this point, the coop is predator proof and the babies are safe inside. We still need to add nesting boxes and fix the roosts. Right now the roost is just leaning there for them to play on. They are only 2 weeks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That is not an "open" window. It is covered with expanded metal from 6 inches above the opening all the way to the floor. That's to give them breeze and a view of the sunset.

We don't have the run done yet, but it will be 16 x 24 with a top cover. I'm starting "small" with what I can afford, with plans to expand.

I have 10 babies now and 3 more coming next week.

What do you think?

2. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
  3. hudsonhousechicks

hudsonhousechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Austin
    It's very nice. They look so tiny in it right now!

4. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Nice start [​IMG] from SC

5. CypressValleySouthern

CypressValleySouthern Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2010
    Driftwood, Texas
    There will be vents on both sides. Those happen to be the north and south walls. Hopefully they will be added this weekend. That is one of the few things we didn't have on hand. DH was thinking about installing an attic fan, but those are more than I want to spend right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by