Got a "fart" egg today

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by new_to_chickens, Jan 9, 2010.

1. new_to_chickens

new_to_chickens Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2009
    My girls have been laying for a few months now. They all stopped for about three weeks when it first turned cold (about month ago). I was getting about four eggs a day, then nothing for those three weeks, and now I get maybe one or two a day. I have 6 barred rock hens that are 8 months old. Is it normal for a hen to lay a 'fart' egg after laying for a few months. I suspect that maybe she hasn't laid an egg since they all stopped a few weeks ago and this is her first attempt at re-laying?

Thanks a bunch!

2. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:I know when I have a fart, I am hoping that I do not have an egg too! [​IMG]

3. new_to_chickens

May 1, 2009
    Genius! After waiting almost five hours for a response...this is what I get [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    LOL. I guess if the egg was at the vent and she had gas behind it, it would fart out. Waiting for replies? Well I do alot of waiting sometimes. Then someone will come along and give a comment that doesn't answer the question. I consider it a good bump from someone really nice who took the time to actually read my post.

5. new_to_chickens

May 1, 2009
    Oh I know...I wait a while too and I don't mind 'the bump'. I didn't name it a 'fart' egg by the way...that is it is called elsewhere on this site as I found out when I went looking for clues. So I searched the forums for any info related to 'fart' eggs. I personally would have named it something else since it seems to elicit certain kinds of juvenile responses from people...just saying [​IMG]

6. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    Quote:it's also called a "wind" egg if you prefer...

but come on! everyone loves a fart egg joke ;-)

that being said, the only thing you can do is sit back and wait to see if your girls start laying regularly again.

I vote "yes" ;-)

7. new_to_chickens

May 1, 2009
    I prefer to think that my 'ladies' don't fart...they are much to lady-like for that!

By the way, they have been laying but not to the full extent as they had before the winter set in. I guess my main concern is that the egg isn't a sign of something more serious than my lady-like hens 'farting'...

8. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    We get them from time to time from our girls. It hasn't been a sign of anything serious for us more of a reboot for their system to get back to normal.

9. new_to_chickens

May 1, 2009
    Thanks...that is all I needed to know [​IMG]

10. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Okay, I have to ask.. what is a fart egg? Or shall I say "passing wind egg" [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by