Got a fart egg...wonder who layed it?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kuntrychick, Nov 5, 2011.

1. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    I got a light brown fart egg this morning & I'm not sure who layed it.

I've got 3 almost 20-week old pullets that could lay any day now. Especially the either BJG or BA (not sure what she is) has REALLY been acting like she's gonna lay...being VERY vocal, getting in nest box & other places practicing.

I also have 2 EE pullets (one with green legs, one with yellowish legs). One of them has been acting like she's gonna lay any day(the green-legged one). I'm hoping the EEs give me blue and/or green eggs, but I know it can be brown or any variety of colors.

Also, before I had the pullets I got 1 fart egg that looked similar to this...about the same size & color so not sure who layed it.

The egg was not in the nest box. It was in the almost 10-week old's watermelon box temporary coop.

So, it could be either of the 3 pullets, either of my 2 RIRs, my BO, my mutt that I'm not sure qualifies as an EE. I know it's not either of my two grown EEs as they lay green eggs.

Any guesses?

2. kuntrychick

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    Got yet another fart egg laying right next to a good size egg in the nest box & I saw the black pullet in that nest box for a long time. Could she have layed 2 fart eggs in a day? And could she have layed the good size egg too? I never saw another hen in the nest box today. Is she getting her egg factory ready or what? LOL

3. Sleepy71

Sleepy71 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    "got a fart egg" [​IMG] [​IMG] Ok, what the heck is a fart egg??

4. Manningjw

Manningjw Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Don't think I have seen a consensus on exactly what a fart egg is. Some people refer to eggs that are small and yolkless as "fart eggs." Kind of an "oops" egg from a hen that normally lays larger eggs.

Other people I use this term to describe their first eggs from hens [​IMG]. Our first eggs from young hens have been very small, similar to what people are calling "fart eggs" but are complete eggs with yolk.

5. kuntrychick

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    I should have taken a pic of them but I cracked them to see if they have a yolk & they DID & they also had the bullseye like they were fertilized!?

I fed them to the dogs.

These were just small eggs, maybe the size of a bantam egg or something or possibly a silkie (I've never seen a silkie egg tho).

I have seen "fart" eggs that were very small, like marble size without a yolk. I've never had one tho.

I have only had 1 fart egg besides these 2 today & they were all about the same size with a yolk. The first one I ever got was earlier this year but WAY before my pullets got ready to lay, so it had to come from a grown hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by