GOT A FEW Q's AS I LIVE IN N. ARIZONA

rockmissjess

Songster
6 Years
5 Years
Jan 23, 2014
Prescott Area, Arizona
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey all, so i live in Northern Arizona... and im about to order the following pullets friday and had some questions about everyones personal experiance with what we have around these parts..

Silver Laced Wyandotte
Golden Laced Wyandotte
Buff Orpington
Black Australorp
Delaware

So... Around Here we have Javalina's, Coyotes, Scorpions, Tarantulas, Snakes, skunks... (ALSO I HAVE A 6FT TALL CHAIN LINK FENCE SURROUNDING MY LARGE BACKYARD) when they are big enough i will let them free range other than locking them up at night to keep them safe from predators...

So my questions are this should i worry about the scorpions with my chickens once i place them outside? or will they eat them?

Should i buy some wolf urine pellets to help derive the coyotes from coming around? will the chickens be here bring in the coyotes?

Will the Javalinas harm my chickens?

Will Tarantulas Harm my chickens? or will they eat them?

will the chickens bring around more skunks? will the skunks go after my chickens?

How are chickens and snakes? ive seen a few baby snakes around here last year and the snakes that i know that are around these parts are: Arizona Western Diamond Back Rattle Snake, California King Snake, Corral Snakes... now around my home ive only seen a few of the king snakes... (which is a good sign)

I would just like to know everyone's experiences with these pests/predators...THANX :)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
You may not notice them often, but I bet you have hawks of some sort as well. I would rank hawks, coyotes, dogs as the biggest predatory risks you may face. A six foot chain link is good, but also think about the bottom of the fence. This is where coyotes,dogs, skunks etc will first try and gain access. We have tarantulas around here, If they are ever able to take down a chicken, then I think I will be moving post haste.

I live in central california. But out in the country. I have 30 or so adult hens and twice this year had a chicken get out and was out during the night. Both times i woke up to a pile of feathers. Coyotes and bobcats have been seen in the area i live in. So my message is that if the animals are around, yes your chickens will bring them in with more frequency and they will take any birds available to them.

FYI a six foot fence is little deterant for coyotes. They can jump over them with little problem.

I live in central california. But out in the country. I have 30 or so adult hens and twice this year had a chicken get out and was out during the night. Both times i woke up to a pile of feathers. Coyotes and bobcats have been seen in the area i live in. So my message is that if the animals are around, yes your chickens will bring them in with more frequency and they will take any birds available to them.

FYI a six foot fence is little deterant for coyotes. They can jump over them with little problem.

Yes, I've seen this with my own eyes! They are quite athletic. That's why we have our run covered. Way too many critters that like the taste of chicken.

You may not notice them often, but I bet you have hawks of some sort as well. I would rank hawks, coyotes, dogs as the biggest predatory risks you may face. A six foot chain link is good, but also think about the bottom of the fence. This is where coyotes,dogs, skunks etc will first try and gain access. We have tarantulas around here, If they are ever able to take down a chicken, then I think I will be moving post haste.

Lol! Me too!

We have a six foot chain link fence around our run, but we also covered the top with it as well. I've seen our resident bobcat up on top of that run looking in at the chickens, too bad he saw me too and took off. Creepy!

Back
Top Bottom