got a free hen with ten chicks

zach318

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 23, 2011
well someone dumped this hen with her chicks and the neighbor caught them and gave them to my mom. She is a great mom and its alot of fun watching her and her babies run around the barn. We are not sure if she is a mix or a pure breed. What breed do you think she is? thanks zach

Farrah9-11-2011.jpg

Farrah.jpg

Hard to say - There's a few bearded breeds out there, plus she's got a single comb, but the most interesting is that she's a true Crele in color. I'd say she's a mutt that's been bred to that point for a few generations.

Can't help you with breed but she sure is pretty! Look's to be in good shape too. Glad she has a good home now.

What I want to know is, why can't anything like that ever get dumped at my house? All I get is people's mean dogs.
roll.png

I'm going to say maybe an EE. My Faverolle female is much more reddish along her back feathers and she has a full beard.
I think once she starts laying eggs again you'll probably know what she is if she lays a blue/green egg.

Not sure if you guys in the US have Cream Legbar chickens but she looks very like the ones we have over here in the UK. Google them and see what you think. They are normally (but not always depending on quality) crested and do have araucana in their ancestry and lay a blue egg so this could account for the beard on yours. I could be completely wrong tho but just thought it was worth a mention.

Quote:
We only just recently did, but VERY few people in the US have the money to pay for them, plus, we haven't had them long enough to cross them out to get a bearded, still crele-like colored hen.
wink.png

Also, the Legbars imported to here are not bearded.

Back
Top Bottom