GOT A GOOD SURPRISE TODAY!!!!(pics)

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by ColbyNTX, Jul 13, 2010.

1. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    I had a trio of free range guineas left, 1 cock and 2 hens(I have plenty in pens). My bloodhound got out about a month and killed some roosters and I thought a guinea hen. She got out again 4th of July weekend while we were out of town and got my cock and a few BLRW roos. Put the dog on craigslist on Friday and she was gone Sat. This morning I was shaving and I have a mirrior that covers the whole wall and about a 6'X5' window across from the mirror. So usually while I am shaving or brushing my teeth, I watch the birds in the yard in the mirror. I saw a guinea and thought it was my lone free range hen untill I saw something moving around its feet. I turned around to look out the window and noticed keets. Lots of them! Haven't seen her in a month and today she shows up with 17 keets. I am not going to take them from her because I already have about 50 in the brooder already and turkeys hatching today and next Tues. I hope she can raise them OK. My neighbor had one of his guineas hatch 17 last year and she raised all of them. I put out a 5 gallon waterer for them and threw out a couple of handfuls of Purina Startena (30%) and she starter eating and all the keets joined in. She let me come up to the keets but wouldn't let anything else near. Here is a pic of her with the babies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Weeeeeee Congrat's [​IMG].I had to sell my 6 last year and got one to hatch spring this year from 6 egg's and sadly I lost it.I miss mine truley.Hope they do really good for ya.Guinea's are kindy "tippy' they are crazy as babie's when holding etc. Well all the one's I have had were.They are great though.

3. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    Really cute! You must live in a good neighborhood for raising keets. Mine gradually disappear.

4. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    I guess my Blueheeler kept all the critters away from her. I don't even know where her nest was. We have coons, opossums, cyotes, bobcats ect. I had 11 roosters vanish in 2 nights last year. I do have a Red Tail that nested about 300 yards from my barn. She could be a big problem.

5. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

Gorgeous babies!

6. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Congrats! What a good momma. Hopefully the other two remaining free rangers will help her keep an eye on them.

7. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    What a wonderful family she has.

I have tried many times to leave the keets with their moms never have any left by the 4th day, snakes get them every time out in the feilds.

Good luck on your upcoming hatch.

8. BC_Farms

BC_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Enfield & Chaplin CT
    [​IMG] sooo cute

9. poultryfan73

poultryfan73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Tioga County Pa
    LUCKY! Mine lay tons of eggs but they never want to sit! Congratz though!

10. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Aww what a happy ending! I hope they all do well with the momma. Congrats [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by