Got a goose egg today

Discussion in 'Geese' started by zooweemama, Jan 25, 2013.

1. zooweemama

zooweemama Chillin' With My Peeps

At least I assume it is. I have ducks and chickens too. But this egg was left by the pond, is rather large, very rough on the outside, covered in a very thick bloom, lots of blood on the outside and contained only one very huge yolk. It weighed 114 grams. My biggest duck egg was a double yolker weighing in at 102 grams- from a Pekin. This egg did not look like a duck egg...but it smelled like one. (waterfowl eggs smell like wet dog lol)

So my goosey girl laid an egg in January? Is that normal? Should I do anything for her now? She lives with the ducks and it offered the same food- Mazuri mixed with oats, free choice oyster shell and turned out at 10am to free range daily. I have not personally seen my gander and goose mate yet. They honestly act like they are beyond such behavior- they are so very proper lol.

:D Thanks!

2. Alaskan Dragonfly

Alaskan Dragonfly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    Big Lake, Alaska
    At that weight, it might still be a duck egg. My toulouse goose has laid her first 2 eggs ever in the past week, and they were both at about 150 grams. Geese also tend to bury their eggs, I believe...

3. Alaskan Dragonfly

Feb 7, 2009
    Big Lake, Alaska
    But congrats nonetheless!!!

4. zooweemama

I'm going to check her pelvic area tomorrow. The egg didn't look like any of the eggs the ducks lay (everyones eggs have a certain look) and when we cracked it open then yolk was the size of a chicken egg. It was crazy big and the shell was insanely thick (freakishly thick). Like creepy thick. Even my Pekins' double yolkers never get that big, that thick of shell or anything. It was an alien looking egg to us. I am going to keep my eye on her and the ducks. If that was a duck egg someone is hurting. LOL My Pekin eggs are the biggest I get and they rarely go much over 80. The double yolkers are about 92 grams. (yes I weigh all the time) My Runners eggs almost never go over 60 grams. My 300s and harlequins and buffs all laid 70-76 gram eggs. We'll see. The geese are still housed with the ducks and I didn't know if egg laying signaled something with geese right away.

5. zooweemama

Does the size of the goose matter? They are production quality- the goose weighs maybe 12 pounds at most? Not as big as 'real' Africans can get.

6. Alaskan Dragonfly

Feb 7, 2009
    Big Lake, Alaska
    I'm not sure if the size or type of goose makes a difference, to be honest. Mine is a production Toulouse, around 9 months old. Here's a picture of her first egg, in my hand...

[​IMG]

They are clean when I find them, not bloody at all, and not much rougher than a duck egg.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  7. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    its likely the first egg from your african girl. They are smaller the first few eggs and get bigger, the second season they even bigger.

8. zooweemama

Oooh very lovely! That is a huge egg!

9. zooweemama

IF that was a duck that laid it- I wonder if she is ok because man alive ouch. Not only that - it would be abnormal for my crew to lay that so I hope it's not a signal that something is wrong. I will keep my eyes on the ducks and my goose a little more than usual just in case something is off.

10. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    If it was from your goose, you may find another one soon! Something like every other day or so. Congrats!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by