Got a Little Giant incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Acre of Blessings, May 20, 2008.

1. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    I picked up one of these at our local farm supply. Does anyone have infomation that I should know about these incubators. Gumpsgirl gave me 9 eggs which are now in the bator. It has been on a constant 100* since yesterday. Is this the right temp for still air?Any advice would be appreciated.

2. yellowdragon

yellowdragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Springville, Indiana
    I have one. Some say they aren't good, but I went through 1 in like 5 years and now have another. I keep my temp at 100 f . Let your eggs settle if they were shipped, It makes all the difference.

3. Acre of Blessings

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    How many times a day do you turn the eggs? I am turning 3 times. I do not have an automatic turner. How long shoudl I take to turn the eggs? sorry for all the ?'s. So you have had much success with yours?

4. yellowdragon

yellowdragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Springville, Indiana
    I started by turning 3 xs aday for 3 days, which I should still be doing, but went to 2 xs aday. If you can keep with it turn 3xs aday or every 8 hours. My papaw got put in the hospital so I was gone all weekend. My mom has had hers going all spring(same brand) and it does great. We thought something was wrong with the first couple hatches, but my roo if is having fertility propblems, so it wasn't the bator. Good luck. There is a post somewhere on here about not turning eggs at all. Miss Prissy said the first 7 days where the cridical ones. I'll keep turning untill day 18.

5. Acre of Blessings

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    should I turn the eggs quickly so that I don't lose much heat or should I take my time?

6. farmer_fred

farmer_fred Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2008
    my words of advice, wqatch the temp, get a humidity gauge, keet it at 45 -50 %, and in case you cannot be home, get the turner. chickes are usually 21 days turkeys are 24-27 (mine came at 24) I just started hatching mine this morning after 24 days. have a digital thometer, wire thru window and watch the meter. the one that comes with it, have for 1 side, use the digital on the other side.

7. Acre of Blessings

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    But I thought after the digital thermometer got to a certain temp. that it stopped after so long.

8. farmer_fred

farmer_fred Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2008
    as funny as it sounds, I went to a pet shop that sells the reptile humidity gauge and thomometer, and they are the exact same models shown in pictures on the forum. the temp is good up to 120 degrees, and digital will show within .1 degree ont hemeter where as the one that comes with it reads as 99.5 when it gets warm enough. I find from the advice of others, it is better to have to temp guages than the shipped one alone. I am running the temp currently at 101.1, and it is quite warm for it, but keets are still being born.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by