Got a new addition to my flock, not sure it should be there.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Poolo, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Poolo

Poolo New Egg

Apr 5, 2016
    Ann Arbor
    So over the last few days ive had an addition to my flock, shes a kind bird, she follows my hens and has taken a very fond liking to my pullets. She will come within a couple feet of me and doesn't really mind my presence. She will eat at my feet with the rest of my flock , but she doesn't exactly fit in. She is a turkey. A wild turkey. Is this normal, and should i be concerned. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

i think that if she is not causing any problems there is no reason to be worried

3. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

That's so neat!
    My girls LOVE to see the wild turkeys when they come on our property.
    They walk right up to each other and it's like old home days.
    They forage together and it's all good til the turkeys leave.
    My girls always look like they've lost their BFF's.
    Congrats on your new addition!

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    You should welcome that turkey with open arms. Turkeys carry a form of Marek's disease that is not as lethal as the disease common to chickens. Therefore, having turkeys around will afford a bit of natural immunity to Marek's disease for your flock. Just having turkeys on your property is helpful, even if they don't mingle with your flock.

5. Poolo

Poolo New Egg

Apr 5, 2016
    Ann Arbor
    Thats all good to hear. Its mingling, and weird diseases from the turkey was my initial concern. If its not dangerous to them, it is welcome. My kids love seing it, and throwing it bread crumbs. My dogs on the otherhand hate it and have chased it off a few times. But it always comes back within a few minutes.

6. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

that is so amazing![​IMG]

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I wonder if it's an escaped/ partially tame bird. Not usual for a lone wild turkey to be so friendly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by