Got a new bunny, But i need some help.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by shay20, Sep 1, 2008.

1. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Hello , I got a bunny from someone yesterday and i was holding her today, and i noticed her private area looks huge to me and aside of it looks like a swollen peace of skin some one said maybe shes a boy, stupid ? how can u tell on a bunny is it the same as a ferret or cat. im worried couse i dont know if this is normall. :|

2. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    i cant help but I do know its hard to tell a girl from a boy. we were told we had two girls when he were kids, till the babies were born and dad killed them.

3. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    You mean one of the bunnys were a boy.? :|

4. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
  5. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    It can be hard to tell when they are babies, but by 4-5 months it is easy to tell the boys. You will see their testicles on each side and if you press down on either side of the middle part, the penis will pop out. If you press on either side, the girls will have a slit. Can you post pictures? Maybe we can help you determine if there is something wrong or you just have a male?

6. goldensunriseranch

goldensunriseranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Mays Landing NJ
    To sex bunnies there is a definite knack to it, you need to push on either side of the genitalia and push out the genitals a bit whether it be a vulva or a penis. A vulva will look like a long slit and means it is a doe and a penis will look, well more like a penis with a round hole in the tip, and would be a buck. If the bunny is an adult or near maturity if it is a buck it's testicles should have dropped by now and would be in sacs on either side of the genitalia and usually pretty obvious.

7. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Oh my god its a boy not a girl [​IMG] , Thank you so much for u guys help, i was so afraid it was a tumer or something, boy do i feel dum [​IMG] . The swollen parts are his Testicals hahahaha, [​IMG] thats ok hes still cute. [​IMG]

8. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Quote:Thanks that was very very helpful, [​IMG]
    I did noy know that they can swell from heat. now hes normal. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  9. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Quote:Thanks now i know that, he was swollen from the heat . [​IMG]

10. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Quote:Hello, i dont have my cam, but i figured it out now, hes a boy. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by