got a new flashlight for candling

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DixieChickie, Jul 28, 2011.

1. DixieChickie

DixieChickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    VA
    Love it!! Its a Coleman Max LED with adjustable beam ultra bright. It's 110 lumens. Does a great job on my cochin eggs...I can see EVERYTHING!!!!! It illuminates the darkest of my rsl eggs really well.

2. builderone

builderone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    I have been using a led mag light 3 d cell seems to work. I think I may build a cone for it.
    Chad

3. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Does anyone ever wonder how the chicks feel? At some point they don't have eyelids. And if the light can penetrate an egg...it's going through their little chickie eye lids when they get them. As fun, necessary and exciting as candling is...I do feel bad for all those chicks getting bright lights shined in their little developing eyes. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  4. jfulcher

jfulcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Quote:x2

5. DixieChickie

DixieChickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    VA
    I think of them too. But I didn't have a flashlight to use, cause hubby needed his maglight back. I was excited by the fact that I will be able to see into my LF brown eggs, to check for development (when they decide my roo is worthy).......took the wind right outta my sails. [​IMG]

6. Cape Cod Egghead

Cape Cod Egghead Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2010
    That bright light can't be natural for embryonic chicks, but having someone candle once in a while and toss the stinkers is probably better/healthier (for developing chicks) than having one blow up beside you.

7. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Kindness is a wonderful thing; and you all are thoughtfully kind. I do wonder if the amount of light reaching the eye of the chick is far less than we persieve. Much of the light is blocked by the shell and reflected by the inner contents before it gets to the eyes. IMO. Hope this makes you feel better about candling. GL

8. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Quote:LOL No means to offend your opinion, but that's a little silly. It may be true though.

9. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    go to TSC, buy one of the 9-LED $2 flashlights at the register. they're short and stubby, but they work flipping AWESOME!!

(can't take credit for this, this was suggested by a couple other members here)

10. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:LOL No means to offend your opinion, but that's a little silly. It may be true though.

When your hearts on your sleeve, it's hard to hide it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by