got a new game today,, UPDATE post 103

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by the1much, Oct 9, 2008.

1. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

hiya alls,, well got a new game fowl today,, man i love free birds [​IMG] ,, but anyways, i have no idea what kind,, but more important,, how ta heck do i trim his spurs,, this poor dude is a couple years old, and has spurs 3 or 4 inch's long, that point UP. poor guy cant even sit without them jabbing his underside. heres some pics, will get better ones after he calms down and figures out im not gonna eat him lol
    thanks alls.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

UPDATE: the spurs were cut-off with a dremil and a cut-off disc,, and everything worked out great!!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    wow those are pretty long poor guy! if that was me, i'd just take some really good wire clippers and trim about a half an inch off and then file it down some (to make it not so pointy) and wait a few days and trim again (only to avoid trimming too short and making him bleed). I've never trimmed a roosters spurrs before (never needed to) but if i had to that's how i'd do it---just the same as how i trim a goats hooves that were let to grow way too long.

sorry i can't help on the breed type...he looks like a bantam type though??? is he or is he bigger?

cool chicken leg leash by the way (dunno the real terminology) i'd do that here, but fox and owl and hawk would make quick dinner of em. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  3. the1much

thanks!! ya i was just gonna cut them, but didnt know if there was a "too far" point , and really didnt want my first time to be an "ugly scene". ya i thought he was small too, he's a little bigger then half, of my other game,, so yup,, i think bantam too [​IMG]

4. the1much

i just went out and did a quick measure, he's about 22 inch's high from ground to head,, without it being stretched,, thanks again [​IMG]

5. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    cool, guess what, my mom just brought me home a rooster too! Free, I named him Wilber [​IMG].

He looks a lot like yours but different flesh and combs. I'll post him here to show ya, I have no clue what breed he is either...all i know was he was going to be butchered because he was pooping on a saddle [​IMG]. He was my moms bosses chick, well i guess it's good to call him a rooster now [​IMG].

Mine i dont *think* is a bantam, he's pretty heavy and I know he's three months old. I did a leg rope on him (a homemade one haha) just so I could keep him still while i took some pictures cuz now i wanna know what mine is too [​IMG]

*After this it's off to "what is my chicken"! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    LOL..he looks like a fiesty little bugger

7. the1much

wow,, he is pretty,, i love that maroon color with the black,, and he does look heavy, and he should get bigger,, his spurs are still just bumps, so he has a way to go!.
    this is my other game,, i went through all the "seperating" work because of him,, but man he was pretty,,er,, IS pretty lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    hey 1...

what's that thing on his leg?

9. the1much

his tether ,, so he cant get away,, and so i dont have to build him his own pen,, lol,, BUT my first game now has his own pen, and i found him 4 GF's ,, so he's MUCH happier now [​IMG]

10. the1much

tether or.. leash i call em,,lol [​IMG]

EDIT: ta say,, i buy the rubber ones with a leather "lashing" , the rubber dont get tangled like rope does.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by