Got a new Seabright girl, boy can she fly

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by missfitch, Oct 23, 2009.

1. missfitch

missfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Marysville Ohio
    So apparently my other 4 girls are lazy! We got our Seabrite pullet about 45 days ago, did the good bio hazards, kept her separated for about 40 days (fully inclosed run and coop) So I added her to my lil flock and she has adjusted very well, I have very sweet hens so I had no worries, but I came across my first problem, she can fly, [​IMG] right over a 6 foot fence no prob. I am looking into inclosing the top but would a local vet be able to clip her wings? We do free range when we are outside and I can keep her safer if I can keep her closer.
    She always waits by the gate so she must like her new home (she says "let me in, let me in, I let myself out again") [​IMG]

2. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Most bantams can fly well. I haven't let my sebrights out yet but my japanese bantams get up into 16' rafters without anything to jump on inbetween. My bantam EE have ended up 10' in the air on branches. The lighter the body of the chicken the higher they can go.

3. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

My sebright can fly the length of my chicken run. [​IMG]

4. missfitch

Mar 23, 2009
    Marysville Ohio
    woooo, I have a light brama and two black cochins all of which are bantams, but my seabrite is m=by far the smallest. I might need to build a circus tent for her!

5. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    You don't need a vet to clip her wings. You can do it with a pair of scissors. Just trim her flight feathers to about 3" on one wing. She will still be able to fly, but she'll fly in circles and therefore will not be able to fly over the fence.

6. missfitch

Mar 23, 2009
    Marysville Ohio
    Really, is their anyway to insure I don't clip to far or hurt her? Also her nails are pretty long, and guidelines for clipping them?
    Thanks a lot, I love learning new things, and BYC is the best for that!

7. missfitch

Mar 23, 2009
    Marysville Ohio
    Thanks Portage girl!

I know mine has not hand raised and she is a bit skiddish , is this their typical temperament or will she come around with some enticing (treats) [​IMG]

8. that_crazy_lady

that_crazy_lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Rose, OK
    I only had a pair, the hen was a little shy, she would get real close and fallow you around, but my roo would ride around on my head or shoulders. I raised them both, and no matter how much I handled them the hen was always shy, she would eat out of my hand however. so your girl mite come around.

9. ChickenCharmer

ChickenCharmer Chillin' With My Peeps

I clip all my banties' wings, and I never have flight problems. Honestly, you shouldn't take her to the vet. Clipping her yourself is super easy, and it doesn't hurt her-- it's like cutting hair. Just cut the flight feathers away (the outer set of feathers on the wing-- that way you won't notice the missing feathers when her wing is folded. The flight feathers are hidden beneath the secondary feathers). Cut only one wing, because then her flight is unbalanced and she won't be able to sustain it. It's really easy; it's a total waste of time to go to the vet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by