Got a new tom today! but now we have questions

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by RedfogsFlock, May 16, 2010.

1. RedfogsFlock

RedfogsFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Wittmann, AZ
    Ok so we had a pair of bronze's then the dog killed our tom! So it's been just our female for about two weeks now. Then two days ago we adopted 3 ganders from a rescue, and today they brought us this gorgeous tom!!
    [​IMG]

So he's missing some feathers, and is really overweight! But we will get him all straightened out. Now we have a 6 week old female, and he really really really likes her! So our questions are

How old till a female is mature?

About how old do you think he is?

Thanks for any help!

2. KOTurkeyRanch

KOTurkeyRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Western PA
    All turkeys mature at about one year give or take a month. He is definately mature, not sure on the age. Check spur length.

3. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    IMO, he looks about 2 yrs old...check his beard...its an inch for every year...

4. RedfogsFlock

Jan 17, 2010
    Wittmann, AZ
    See I thought it was about a year old too for them to be mature. See our little girl is only 6 weeks old, and he likes standing on top of her gobling. lol I'm thinking it's some kind of mating thing. Oh yeah whats with the drum sound after he chirps and fluffs up all his feathers? He does gobble just not a lot and it IS loud. lol I do love the way he changes color from red to blue.

The beard? His is pretty long, so I will measure it tomorrow. [​IMG] His spurs are about an inch long. He's extremely lovable. Our son goes out and hugs him, he just stands there. He follows us around too. We're already in love with him!

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  5. KOTurkeyRanch

Jul 8, 2009
    Western PA
    Nevermind my post. Its turkey season and all i think about is getting a gobbler lol

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  6. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

The beard grows about an inch a year except in White Hollands. They grow twice as fast at least for some reason.

Steve

7. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    5 inches a year?!?! I've never heard of that...Everywhere I've read, its an inch per year.... [​IMG]

8. KOTurkeyRanch

Jul 8, 2009
    Western PA
    Sorry sorry, talking about wild ones. Wrong type lol

9. RedfogsFlock

Jan 17, 2010
    Wittmann, AZ
    Well I did some research and found that the sound he makes is called chirp & drum.! They do it to look attractive to females! He makes like a chirp sound, and then it sounds like a drum rumbling in his chest.

10. thaiturkey

thaiturkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Thailand
    Quote:I think that ours also does it to remind the human servants that he is the boss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by