Got a one-eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Haywire, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Haywire

Haywire Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2011
    One of our hens appeared from the coop this morning missing an eye. What's the prescribed solution here? Let it go, have hen soup, or treat it somehow?

Ian

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Depends on how you feel about the hen...

If you really like her- Terramycin ointment to the socket, special high protein diet to aid in healing, maybe separation from the flock until she learns to adapt to her handicap.

If you just like her- Neosporin to the socket, a few extra protein treats to aid in healing, and keep an eye on her to make sure she adapts to her new circumstances.

If you don't really care- let her be. Chickens are tough. She'll be fine.

Seriously, though. You can invest as much or as little time as you want into this bird. A missing eye is a fairly common injury. Most of the time the birds afflicted do just fine with little intervention. If she is a favorite pet then she has earned the right to be pampered after such a trauma. If you really don't care too awfully much, then she will likely be fine with little or nothing done on your part. In the latter case, I would monitor her for signs of infection and make sure she is able to access resources without difficulty.

I would not cull her for losing an eye. It should not affect her that greatly.

Good luck.

3. Haywire

Haywire Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2011
    Thanks... I guess I'll just try to keep an "eye" on her. With the time change though, I leave before they come out and they are already on the roost when I get home.

Ian

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by