Got a problem. Any answers?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ih66series, Sep 28, 2011.

1. ih66series

ih66series Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Altoona, PA
    I set 40 eggs yesterday at 5PM in my incubator. At 11PM the temp was steady at 100 degrees. At 6:30AM the temp was up to 103.5!! I backed it down and I came home at 3PM and it was down to 96! I turned it up again and maybe I have it ok now but what did that range of temps do to my eggs?!?!?! What can I expect for a hatch rate?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    That's a little hard to answer. It is important to have stable and correct temperatures from when you start. Temperature fluctuations can cause problems with proper development at that stage. Not just birth rates but actually misshapen or deformed chicks. I said CAN, not absolutely, every time, without fail, 100% for sure.

Odds are that it did not have a big effect. Of course, it depends on how long they were at those temperatures. The core temperature is what is important, not the temporary air temperature. It takes a while for the center of the egg to change. And a lot of people would be surprised at how tough those chicks can be.

I'm not going to hold your hand and say everything is hunky-dory and you have no problems. But I'm also not going to tell you to throw them out and start over. I'd get it stabilized and continue. It is very possible your hatch will not be affected at all. It is also possible it will be affected. It's possible something else entirely will have an effect. I just don't know.

3. ih66series

Jan 26, 2011
    Altoona, PA
    Quote:Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  4. ih66series

Jan 26, 2011
    Altoona, PA
    Any more input?

5. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

what kinda bator r u using, i have the LG still air bator, and the temp always moves up and down but never gets below 96 degrees or over 103 degrees, i check it every two hours or so, and make sure its ok, all eggs doing fine so far

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  6. ih66series

Jan 26, 2011
    Altoona, PA
    It is a Hova-bator

7. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

sommetimes the temp will move as it trys to heat the eggs u put in, after they are all to the right temp it could level out, thats what someone told me when i was having these proplems

8. 9Catsz

9Catsz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2011
    Southeastern Missouri
    Quote:I did almost this very same thing (up to 103 and down to 94) and candling 10 days later revealed no evidence of veins. Those eggs didn't hatch.

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I would wait a few more days. One of my incubators went down to 93 the one day because of a power outage. When the power came back on one of the incubators went up to 115. Another time on our coldest night I lost power, I was 2 weeks into incubation. The temp in the incubator was 78 degrees when I discovered it. I put the incubator on a battery pack with an inverter and brought the temp back up. I still had good hatches. It takes time for the internal temperature in the eggs to cool down or heat up so I don't think that will really affect the hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by