Got a question about my broody weirdo.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by guesswhatchickenbutt, Jun 12, 2010.

1. guesswhatchickenbutt

guesswhatchickenbutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Central FL
    Hi all - quick scoop on my issue:

I have three hens - all about 15 months old. My BO went broody a couple of weeks ago. I tried repeatedly taking her off the nest, but she was on it like a magnet. After a week of this I bought cage on CL and put her in it during the daytime for 3 days. On the 4th day when I went to let them all out of their coop into their run, she was waiting by the door to come out and NOT on the nest. Success! She didn't act broody that day at all. But that night when I went to lock them up she was back on the nest instead of sitting on her roost. So i thought maybe she might still be broody?? Then this morning, she was at the door waiting to come out into the run, which was a good sign. I was out with them for most of the day and she spent the day in the run - NOT on the nest. Now tonight I went to lock them up and i panicked because i couldn't find her, but there she was on the nest again and not on her spot on the roost!!

Ideas?

Why would she act broody during the day - then quit being broody - but still sit on the nest at night?

Maybe this is normal post-broody behavior?

Any info is much appreciated!!!!

Thanks in advance [​IMG]

2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Has she started laying eggs again? That's usually the biggest indicator that you've successfully broken them of broodiness.

Sounds like she's broken, but that she thinks the nest is a more comfortable place to sleep. You might need to block the nests at night.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Maybe just lingering broody tendancies??? Or while she was broody she found the nests oh-so-much more comfy than the roosts??? lol I would go out each night and move her to the roost. I bet she makes the adjustment by the 3rd or 4th night. When I was working on breaking my broody (after letting her sit for 23 days), that's what I had to do at night time and it worked for her. Hope it works for you! [​IMG]

4. guesswhatchickenbutt

Mar 5, 2009
    Central FL
    Southernbelle - luckily for me, when this hen went broody the other two decided that they'd have a funky laying schedule. I've only been getting one or two eggs a day (and some eggless days) since she went broody. So I don't know who's laying and who's not at this point. I used to get 3 eggs most days... I know they'll all get back in the swing of things soon enough. My ex-broody still has a very light pink comb instead of her red comb so I don't think she's laying. I did get a super tiny egg in the box today - not sure who it's from though.

5. guesswhatchickenbutt

Mar 5, 2009
    Central FL
    teach1rusl - thanks. Yeah, that might be it. I suppose I'll start kicking her out starting tomorrow night. No one wants a poopy nest [​IMG] I'm glad to hear that this behavior isn't too off the wall though... Thanks!

6. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I feel for you, but don't have any advise

i have had 20 broodys in the last 3 months and only 2 got off the nest when the chicks hatched, the rest just sit and sit no matter what i do,so i spend my days pulling chicks from them.

Guffy girs are sitting on empty nest cause i keep the eggs pulled, i tried locking a few up, no luck, one tried nesting in the food bowl on some whole peanuts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by