Got a question about rabbits/chickens??????????????????? =)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by c.wilson, Nov 30, 2008.

1. c.wilson

c.wilson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2008
    Ok heres the deal....i just got 6 rabbits 3 male and 3 female...all neutered...i double checked to make sure they where b/c i dont want anymore rabbits and i have a hutch for them but i want them to be outside and free range.....and not run off...

anyways back to the question...would it be possible for me to let put the rabbits in with the chickens and me be able to let the chickens and rabbits out at the same time and the rabbits and chickens both come back in at night, or would the rabbits run away or would they stay in the yard but not come back in at night..and if so could you post pics of your rabbits out with your chickens if u have any expierence with this...i have alot of buildings and two BIG HUGE barns for them to hide in at night if they dont come in at night... would this be good

thanks for you help... [​IMG]

2. andehens

andehens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Scenic Sierra Nevadas
    Its been quite awhile since I have had rabbits, in my experience, when the rabbits got loose:
    1 we couldn't catch them
    2 no they did not run away but they did not go back to their area at night either
    3 they were preditor bait

Ours weren't pets though and that would make a big difference! I love it when the neighbors bunnies get loose and come over here, they are a hoot to watch, but again, they don't last!

3. c.wilson

Jul 4, 2008
    oh ok...thanks for your help...i think im gonna try it but if they dont come back i will hope for the best...thanks andehens

4. herbandteas

herbandteas Chillin' With My Peeps

Why not start them out in a wire pen that they can hop around in to get use to the new home. But it is my experience once a rabbit is able to roam free that is what they will do. Of course they will come back to your yard but you may end up having less rabbits than you started with.

5. c.wilson

Jul 4, 2008
    alright then well thank you thats a better idea than mine i think i will do that ...thank you! [​IMG]

6. Wyo Chick

Wyo Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

I tried letting our rabbit out in the yard and the goof ran away into the woods. BUT...it did come back the next morning. I didn't want to do that again so we put the hutch in the chicken lot and put a 4x8 dog lot around the rabbit hutch. I put logs, large plastic drain pipe, tall grass, etc. for the rabbit to hide in. You may need a larger area, but I felt better that the rabbit would not get ate!!

7. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

We had 6 rabbits in the back yard with about 150 chickens while finishing up the coops. We had NO problems at all with them being together. Also, our rabbits stayed in the back yard all the time after moving the chickens to the coops. I didn't have ANY grass, but they loved being loose. IF one of them decided to dig under the fence and escape, they came and sat at the gate until we let them back in!!! LOL!! They knew where the food was!

8. kim.home

kim.home Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2008
    I'm getting ready to let my 2 rabbits out with the chicks for short periods of time. We converted the rabbit "exercise pen" into the chicken coop, but I'm glad to hear they will be OK together. I knew the bunnies wouldn't bother the chicks, but I was worried about the chicks pestering the rabbits.

9. c.wilson

Jul 4, 2008
    oh ok u guys are all very very helpful

10. OhioEggs

OhioEggs Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2009
    Springfield, OH
    idk.... I definitely wouldn't do it. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by