Got a Ring Neck dove - advice?

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by Ashmeade, May 28, 2010.

1. Ashmeade

Ashmeade Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    I got a male ring neck dove from a lady today. I plan to keep him inside and will likely get an outside cage/coop for him as well.

I am doing research on care requirements but was wondering if anyone could offer general care advice and "do's and don'ts" as I am new to doves...

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Hoping someone can help

3. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Some things to keep in mind is that they do need grit. I try to feed mine wild bird feed simply because they can swallow the small seeds more easily, although when we run out, they do settle for my pigeon feed (which I've seen them swallow seeds as big as popcorn kernels and peas).
    One big don't is do NOT let him go! Ringnecks aren't like pigeons - you let them out, they won't know to go back in. It's not as hard to catch them on the loose if they are tame and have loft mates to draw them back in with. But you still don't want to risk it.

4. Ashmeade

Ashmeade Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Thanks for the advice! He seems to be doing great so far. I am keeping him indoors so not worried too much about him flying away__he is REALLY tame and fies to hand anyway (though I definitely would not put that to the test outdoors, as he would not last a mininute out there on his own). If I decide to do the outside coop thing I might just clip his wing but so far I think I will just keep him indoors as that is what he is accustomed to and he has never been housed with another bird.

We are feeding him dove seed mixed with parakeet seed (what they had been feeding him), and I read aobut the treats with chopped vegetables and fruits (shows no interest in fruit). I did get him some oyster grit and he has a cull bone and mineral block that has oyster in it as well so good there.

He loves his mirrors in his cage and bobs and talks to himself. And I got him a hanging rope toy he is already playing with and an outside the cage play set with swing/ladder and perches and bath. The laughing noise he makes freaked me out at first but the previous owner said he does that when he is happy. I feel like I have my own live "laugh track" at the house__it is a hoot!

So far doves seem to be pretty cool pets, though from what I am reading he is a bit unusual with the debth of his tameness (not complaining about that though). That laughing noise he makes just cracks me UP.

5. lambykin

lambykin New Egg

May 29, 2010
    We love our ringnecks, they are soo easy to care for! I can say that sometimes ours make the cackling laugh noise & we laugh but sometimes guests who aren't familiar with doves freak out! Very funny though. Ours are very friendly & we have hatched their eggs several times. They don't seem to show much interest in fruit either, but be sure they have plenty of water. a few of ours like millet to snack on. Yes, don't let him out, as we lost our favorite one this way by accident. They are adorable birds & they make such soothing coo-ing noises. I was told not to spray air freshener or lysol sprays around them or handle their baby chicks when you have a cold of flu.

6. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    I'm glad to hear he's tame and you're having a good time with him! [​IMG] They are very sweet birds. It's funny because they can be the most wild, crazy birds at first, but with some work, they'll get to where they couldn't care less if you're around and don't mind being handled. For some reason, my males seem to be more easily tamed than the hens. Perhaps because they are so full of themselves, they don't have time to be skittish [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by