Got a sick pullet - new to chickens, pls help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LakeFairy, Nov 7, 2014.

1. LakeFairy

LakeFairy New Egg

Sep 14, 2012
    I'm new to chickens (although did lots of research before getting them), got 3 beautiful birds from my friend, immediately got hooked, and decided I want 3 more different breeds. Went to a chicken auction, but was afraid to bring disease home to my excising lovely little flock, and so decided to bite the shipping bullet, and ordered 3 pullets from a reputable hatchery, thinking at least I will get healthy birds.

Got the birds home - one is sneezing. Well, I thought, maybe a drafty flight... third day - still sneezing, and not eating as well. She also had black stuff around her nostrils, which I though was dirt stuck due to her having discharge from her nose, and some black area on her comb, which I thought was from an injury.

As I now got concerned about her not getting better, but actually worse, call the hatchery, and they recommend I use VetRx. Drive 40 miles to get the stuff, catch the chicken, apply it, and realize that the black stuff on her nose is kind of imbedded in the beak tissue. Now I'm thinking - fungal infection?? Anyone have seen it before? Hatchery is closed for the weekend, I would really appreciate advise on this! Frustrated and worried about this girl, and the rest of them : (

[​IMG]

2. juspeckinaround

juspeckinaround Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2014
    Byhalia
    I am treating two hens right now that look the same and I have a respiratory infection in my flock. I was told to give them Tylan 200 (.05 cc) 3 days on 3 days off. I am cleaning their noses with warm wet paper towels.
    I am new so I am in no way saying I am right. Just thought I'd tell you that I'm seeing the exact same thing. Hope I have helped.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Sorry about your hen. It's puzzling that she would have something like that just after being shipped? Can you send this picture to them at the Hatchery? Vet Rx is an herbal oil mixture, with balsam pine oil, camphor, oregano and others, and it won't do much for an infection. I would wonder about this being an injury, canker, or some strain of fowl pox.

[​IMG]
    Canker in the sinus

4. LakeFairy

LakeFairy New Egg

Sep 14, 2012
    How common is canker? If that's what it is, and I looked up, the treatment seems to be metronidazole for it - is it ok for a future egg hen? She hasn't change much since yesterday. When I pick her up, she sounds like she has pneumonia (gurgling sound?) Juspekinaround I hope we both figure it out - please share your finds/results.
    This is the way she came

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Canker is treated with Fish Zole (metronidazole, Flagyl) 250 mg daily by mouth for 5 days. Fowl pox is a virus spread by mosquitoes. Canker frequently invades the beak inside and out, so I would look for any yellowish gray patches inside the beak and throat. I have asked some other people to look at this thread for opinions. Here are other pictures of canker:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  6. juspeckinaround

juspeckinaround Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2014
    Byhalia
    The gurgling sound is what I'm hearing too. Sounds to me like you have a respiratory infection going around as well. Several people I know are dealing with it too.
    Have you started them on meds?

7. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Look inside the bird's mouth with good lighting. Look to the back of the throat, on the roof of the mouth, and tell me what you see.

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Check the choanal slit and make sure there is no pus in it.

Here is a post and picture from @Nambroth
    _akthy

1 person likes this.
  9. LakeFairy

LakeFairy New Egg

Sep 14, 2012
    Thank you everyone for help! Inside her mouth looks similar to the last picture - I think clear looking. She was more squirmy today - a good sign, I hope. I haven't done anything meds-wise except for VetRx for 3 nights now, and a bleach solution with q-tip on the black areas on her beak (when I thought it might be fungal).

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Since the black area is where her nasal opening is, you might also consider trying to soften it with warm saline or peroxide, and try to pick any debris out of it just in case it is blocked with feed that has been inhaled or stuck to the beak. That happens often, and over time it can turn to a concrete like material that completely blocks the nares. A toothpick or even a metal pick might even be used with special care. This would require that someone hold her wrapped in a towel. Canker can be fairly common, and is contagious. Here is a link for the Fish Zole (metronidazole) tablets:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fish-Fish-Zole-Metronidazole-250mg-30-Count-/121073772925 and
    http://www.revivalanimal.com/Fish-a...c22154_d_475&gclid=CJ_lwuT97sECFfLm7Aodrn4A0g

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by