got a sqwacker taking credit for egglaying

bantybabylover

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 18, 2014
i have a copper maran hen that will stay in the coup, standing on the ledge just outside of the laying boxes. she sqwacks and does the egg song, but nothing. she will occasionally sit and try, but nothing. she stares at the other hens already sitting in the nests and continues to sing. when one lays, she runs out and really belts it out, so much so the guineas get all ramped up. i havent noticed any evidence of being egg bound, but i am starting to get concerned, wondering if i am missing something. if she is egg bound, i would want to help her. but i am just stumped

so sorry, mabe i should put my glasses on higher up my nose. talking to my husband and trying to type of course is not an excuse to rude, but it helps to explain. i just glanced at the picture and saw the line above it, oye i can be a goof sometimes. actually more than a little. still your info was great, but she laid today, and odder still she didnt sing. she laid a dark brown with flecks on it, so guess she's not egg bound, just a braggert. however the pics and information were great, i hope i dont have the problem but at least i can refer to the information

I have no idea, but here is a free bump... If she is egg bound I think you can look at her tookus and see..

she is a copper maran and six months to seven months old, guess i will have to flag her and take a look. if she is egg bound what will i see? will it be swollen? the things i do for the love of my girls

Last edited:
thanks chicken obsessed, great info. she doesnt seem ill, in pain or stressed. but i am going to separate her out and give her a check out. its been awful out, tornado warning and downpours. but i havent noticed her singing lately, i have 5 copper maran so singling her out will have to wait until she does her scene stealing song. i havent noticed any of the marans acting ill or stressed by pain, just not happy with the weather

thanks chicken obsessed, great info. she doesnt seem ill, in pain or stressed. but i am going to separate her out and give her a check out. its been awful out, tornado warning and downpours. but i havent noticed her singing lately, i have 5 copper maran so singling her out will have to wait until she does her scene stealing song. i havent noticed any of the marans acting ill or stressed by pain, just not happy with the weather
Its Nayeli LOL. Chicken obsessed is my level if you will, it correlates to my posts. Your "out of the brooder".

Its okay! I'm glad everything worked out! I'm waiting for my silkie to lay her first egg... I'm hoping I don't have to wait til next year!

i have read that silkies are somewhat unreliable when it comes to laying. i have four, two ? white hens and a black and a partridge (kinda) rooster. they flock with the buff brahmas, but keep to themselves. very gentle but skiddish. i hope that next spring they get broody, kinda curious to see what the mix will be with white and black or brown. hope your silkies dont disappoint and make you proud. since i am learning about my girls, i am by no means an authority. just keeping up.

Back
Top Bottom