Got a start on your garden?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Mahonri, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    We planted two weeks ago and now it's finally warm enough for some things to start popping through the soil... I noted a zucchini plant and a couple of corn plants popping through yesterday afternoon. Tomatoes have grown... one is a little wilty... time to really wet that one down. Have some peppers almost ready to pic from my plant that survived the winter from last years spring garden.

I'm hoping the chicken poop really makes this garden grow...I'm already getting rid of grass and weeds.

2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I have tilled and I am ready but it is still a month away for us here.

AL

3. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    I am sooo very jealous!!!.....although the weather is warming up (by UK standards so not a lot!) ..I would not even attempt to plant anything ((((SIGH))))) .... but the daffodils are reallycoming through and he perrennial beds are sprouting....... yeah Spring and come on sunshine!...... have managed last Saturday to mow all the lawns, but have not started the weeding as yet...... post some pics Mahonri.....

4. Mahonri

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:MaƱana! If I can ever fall to sleep.

Good morning BTW!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  5. Hattie the Hen

Hattie the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi there! I'm further south in the UK than English Chick so I have been able to sow broad beens and early peas in my raised vegetable beds. I have had sheets of glass over a couple of beds since before our big freeze in January & early February. We have had about 10days of mild weather in these parts so the beds have warmed up nicely. This weekend I'm planning to sow some oriental greens, spinach and mixed lettuce. I will also sow other things in pots but keep them on my deep window-sills indoors; these I'll transplant later when it's a lot warmer. I'm so looking forward to summer, I just hope we have a better one than last year !!!!![​IMG]

6. Mahonri

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'd love to go to Ol' Blighty some summer. Visit the towns of many of my ancestors... Sedgley,Staffordshire,England, also Heaton Norris... where's that? I had a number of ancestors there by the name of Blackham.

7. Hattie the Hen

Hattie the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi Mahonri! Look Heaton Norris up in Wikipedia I did just now --Interesting! It also has a map.

8. Mahonri

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    So is that the midlands? Near Preston?

9. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    Welcome any time Mahonri,

Lol... I have also started early, inspired by Hatte, I have seeds in trays.

Already have tomatoes starting to germinate, and Globe Artichokes, lots of flower and herb seeds in too. My son is going to make me some small poly tunnels to be able to plant up the raised beds when they are finished.

I am building my own raised beds and hoping to have one or 2 ready this weekend.

I have also moved my run for my girls so that the earth they have been developing and fertilising can be turned over and used as a really good bed for runner beans. Now they are busy working another area for me.

Looking forward to some lovely flowers and fruit and veg this year.

Do you find your allergies and sinus problems affected by the garden? I know you get welts (Hives), as I do, and frequently I get them as a result of gardening.

Jena.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  10. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    Hmmm and actually it is close to EC.

It has been divided up between Cheshire and Lancashire.

She may be able to tell you more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by