1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Got a surprise today!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicken pickin, Nov 27, 2012.

1. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    SOOO I got a wonderful surprise today! I walked by my kitchen window and sitting on my front deck was and incubator. A Genesis Hova-Bator 1588 [​IMG]. I text my Husband and asked him if a magic chicken fairy dropped it at our doorstep lol. He was trying to be sneaky and he ordered it for me for a christmas present. But it came early and in its original box that says INCUBATOR very boldly lol so I got an early gift YAY!

Now if I can ask a few questions
    1. Is this incubator a good reliable one
    2. Im new to chickens and have never hatched before Is it difficult to do
    3. How do you bring your self to not keep all the chicks lol[​IMG]

Im nervous to start using it but very excited. Any tips, pointers, or advice is welcome or even any links or other threads that someone can steer me toward would be appreciated.

1 person likes this.
  2. Annie G

Annie G Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2012
    Linden, TN
    I have no experience with that incubator but my suggestion for any of them (LOL) is read the instructions thoroughly no matter what anyone tells you! : )

3. chicken pickin

Mar 3, 2012
    Thanks I will definitely be reading the instuction booklet before using it and also lots of threads in this incubating forum. Im just very nervous to start when its time. I know its a learning process and maybe even a little trial and error but I dont want to have a bad 1st hatch. I was also wondering(im not sure i read this somewhere) but can a slightly wrong temp or humidity percentage cause deformities in the chicks?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Oh wow, what a lovely gift! I hope you have lots of fun with it and hatch lots of fluffy butts [​IMG]

After reading the instructions have a read through here:

Incubating & Hatching Eggs Important Topic Index - Please Review

There is some fantastic information in these threads. Helped me lots when I started incubating. Have fun!

5. chicken pickin

Mar 3, 2012
    It is a very lovely gift. My husband knows how much I love my chickens so it was very thoughtful of him to get me something poultry related and Im happy to know he is ok with my addiction lol. I will be sure to read through all of the topics on that thread, that is very helpful Thank You.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  6. Annie G

Annie G Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2012
    Linden, TN
    I don't know. Sorry, maybe someone else does. I have had a couple of deformed ones but the rest weren't like that using same temp and and humidity situations. I don't even have a humidity regulator on mine and neither did the earlier ones and I've had perfect hatches and I've had a few deformities. It will happen. : (

7. chicksooner

chicksooner Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Oklahoma
    That sounds like something my hubby would do. Feed my addiction. [​IMG] My first incubation experience was with shipped eggs. Not the best way to start but forced me to do lots of research. Read everything you can on it before you start but even then you will learn as you go thru each hatch. Have fun!

8. chicken pickin

Mar 3, 2012
    Thanks! it is a very exciting for my entire family my kids cant wait to watch it all so hopefully I do good and get a decent hatch rate though I know its my first time and not to expect a great hatch rate but Im hoping and will have my fingers crossed. I have been reading lots and will continue to do so daily. I pick up our first batch of fertilized eggs this sunday and will set them to have a Christmas Eve or Christmas Day hatch[​IMG]

9. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Your hubby is great. Plug her, let it warm up. You can follow directions or go with a dry hatch. Oh look at you now you can join the NYDH [​IMG]

10. chicken pickin

Mar 3, 2012
    Oh YAY more exciting news! A new package arrived just now, another christmas present. And my husband let me open it. He also got me the automatic egg turner. YAY! Hes great I cant wait to to fire it up and start hatching.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by