Got a surprise!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lynette, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Lynette

Lynette Chillin' With My Peeps

My Old English Game bantam has been laying on 8 eggs. I just thought she was being broody again, but I thought I heard peeping under her and sure enough, she hatched the eggs!! Since this is totally unexpected and my first time at having my own chicken have chicks, what do I do? Let her raise them? It looks like all but 1 egg has hatched. She is still trying to hatch it.

2. HappyFarmLady

HappyFarmLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    NE Kansas
    THat is soo exciting!!!! Congrats!!

3. Hopefulloflove

Hopefulloflove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    How Fun!!!!

4. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    Let her raise them - she is probably more prepared to do so than you are. [​IMG] Hopefully those with more chick experience will pipe in with advice. Good luck!

5. CarlaS

CarlaS Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2011
    That's so cute have fun! [​IMG]

6. Lynette

Lynette Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks! We are excited about it. I was thinking I probably will let her raise them. I was just concerned because it is so late in the season and even though they are separated from other chickens, I am not sure how they will be brought into the flock. I will be posting a pic when I get more time. They are sooo adorable!![​IMG]

7. Just let her do the mothering. All you have to make sure of is that you have food that can fit in their mouths (crumbles work well.) And a watersource they can reach. As for the rest of the high-matinence chicks require, the hen takes care of it! Broodiness is an amazing thing.

8. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Quote:super like [​IMG] that is sooo awesome!

9. chickens are great 12

chickens are great 12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2011
    [​IMG] thats so exciting!! My one Mini Japanese Chicken sits on her eggs a lot. I think shes just broody, and we don't have any roosters so she can't have any chicks. it would be funny if I checked her and underneath her I found chicks!! Haha! [​IMG] good luck with the chicks! It is fun to have chicks! [​IMG]

10. LovinChicknFarmn

LovinChicknFarmn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    North Carolina
    Definitely let her raise them. She'll do great job. Keep an eye on how they're hatching out. If any are unhatched in a few days, take them away so she'll get up and start mothering the chicks. Otherwise, she'll do the rest! Congrats! We hatched out 5 Japanese-Old English Game Bantams earlier this summer. I wrote about it on my blog (link below) if you want more tips.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by