Got an adult flock of guninea fowl. What will they do next?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by kimslack, Mar 30, 2017.

1. kimslack

kimslack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2009
    Western NY
    I have newly acquired a flock of 6 guineas. 1 male and 5 hens. I had them in the barn for a few weeks when it was cold outside. Now I have them in a chicken tractor. I'd like to let them loose because I got them to eat the tics on my lawn. Will they go back into the chicken tractor if I let them out? I'm out $65 if they run off.

2. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Maybe, maybe not. Depends on their mood. These birds tend to do the opposite of what you want them to do... very contrary. So if you kind of acted like you wanted to keep them out of the pen they might try and get in lol.

I would not let them out unless you are sure they are used to you and will come when you feed them. Also, they must be settled and familiar with their environment. If you have had them in the barn this time does not count, and they won't have been able to see outside.

I would advise at lease 4 weeks in the outside pen.. and move the pen around so they get to see a big area.

They prefer to roost really high up.. so it might easier to train them to go into your barn and roots up on the beams, rather than the chicken tractor.

If you let one or 2 out for a few days they should stay around the pen.. as they are flock birds and want to stick together.

Good luck!

3. kimslack

kimslack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2009
    Western NY
    Thank you. I may decide to put them in the barn. Hate to have their nasty scat all over the floor but that's the trade off I guess for the tics. Tics are terrible this year. They don't seem to like me at all. :( Kim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by