Got an egg today! I love my White Leghorn!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bobbieschicks, Dec 27, 2011.

1. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    That egg made me feel so much better after losing our poor little Rokk (10 week old splash Silkie) while we were away for Christmas [​IMG]

Our chicken sitter said all the chickens were fine yesterday at 9 am - but who knows. All I know is I found her/him dead under the coop at 4pm and the kids were very upset. I know chickens die all the time, but it still doesn't feel good to find a dead one [​IMG] especially one that we really love. At least Rokk had a good life full of treats and love.

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Yeah!!! Eggs are great Christmas gifts for country folk!

Sorry for your loss, I lost my first in 2 years, a black silkie hen...darn coyote!

3. cambriagardener

cambriagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

It's hard to lose a chicken when you don't understand why. Our Rosie just laid down and died. She was the bottom of the pecking order and I think she just gave up. Good luck! [​IMG]

4. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Sorry about that. I love my White Leghorn too, although I would love her alot more if she wasn't TERRIFIED of EVERYTHING, even a falling leave, a shadow, etc. And if she woulld start laying eggs- she's almost 28 weeks. My Black Stars, my Red Stars, they are super freindly. But My White Leghorn is my baby, and I have saved her life many times. If it weren't for her, my chicken obbsession woulld have never started. She's my favorite chicken. [​IMG]

5. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Quote:I love finding eggs in the nest box - it's like Christmas every day. I'm sorry for your loss too - silkies are so beautiful it's hard to see them stiff on the ground like that. This is our second loss this year. We lost a 3 day old White Leghorn over the summer. It hatched out and was fine then I noticed it was by itself alot and then it was gone. The kids were slightly upset, but nothing like with Rokk since they got to hold Rokk and had him/her longer. At least they are learning that animals have a life span too.

6. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Quote:Poor Rosie, I'm sorry for your loss. I guess it's a good lesson for us on living for this day and not for tomorrow. The kids are coming to terms with Rokk's demise. I know it won't be the last time as chicken's live a very short life relative to humans. I keep reminding my children that we are blessed with these chickens for just a little while - but time is relative to an 8 and 10 year old who think everything is "forever" and "never" long.

7. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Quote:HAHA! She's a "big" chicken huh? My Snow White wouldn't let me near her before she started laying. Now at least she'll come close enough to get treats and occassionally be petted. She's the old lady of the bunch at 23 1/2 weeks old. She's been laying since Thanksgiving Day - a few days shy of her 19th week. Of course she practically took a week off with those sloppy softshell eggs. I think she just did it so she could have some scrambled eggs herself. [​IMG]

Are you using supplemental lighting? I think that is what helped Snow White.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by