Got an incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by archerobx, Dec 27, 2009.

1. archerobx

archerobx Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Pa
    Wife got me one for Christmass which was a surprise because she says i spend too much time with them and not enough cleaning, lol.
    My father in law asked what was I going to hatch and I was like wow, it holds 42 eggs, so 42 different breeds. I want one of each, lol. Going to wait till the new toy fever wears off, lol. I so want to start.

2. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    Congratulations! There are some great egg assortments available here during hatching season and also on e-bay. If I'm looking to expand my layer flock again in the future, I might have to try that. Mine are usually x# of these and x# of these, no real surprises. Surprises are fun [​IMG]

3. aceschix

aceschix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I got an incubator as well. I know what you are talking about I am soooo excited to start.[​IMG] The problem I am having is trying to decide what direction to go in. There are so many options that I have learned about here. I want pure birds but I do not know what kind as I only have one coup and one run. Have you hatched before? This will be my first time. Thinking of waiting until Feb...that is a very long time!

4. archerobx

Feb 4, 2009
    Pa
    Never hatched before.
    I only got so much room also.
    I have leghorn hens with a leghorn rooster so I will prob start with there eggs.
    cool we can be hatching buddies, lol

5. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    I got my bator for Christmas also! I'm getting some BCM eggs in the spring!!! BUT I want to do a hatch before I set the expensive eggs. Now I just need to find 4-6 fertile eggs to give it a go!

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I got my bator early for Christmas and the first chicks should hatch New Years day.

Congrats.

7. sbarab

sbarab Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Conroe, TX
    I also got a bator for Christmas. Don't know what I'll be hatching yet. Maybe some marans.

8. aceschix

aceschix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Sounds like many of us are thinking Marans. I agree with gvntofly05 I will be doing less expensive eggs first as a test.

I would LOVE a hatching buddy or 10 [​IMG][​IMG]. The only friends are I have who are interested in chickens are right here on BYC.

archerobx - when are you thinking of giving it a go? I think I need to wait until mid Feb and hope for a warm Spring.

9. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    My new Used incubator is plugged in and running. Awaiting a thermometer/hydrometer....to check temps, then I will be testing with my own eggs....
    mine also holds 42, but I think 12 will be a good test....
    my incubator was purchased used, it is about 15 years old....so don't know if it will maintain temps yet....

Opinions?

ETA:
    I have never hatched chickens before just button quail & Parrots in Brinsea (auto everything).

The incubator is a very old LG with fan & Auto Turner. So far I know the fan kicks on & the turner works.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  10. archerobx

Feb 4, 2009
    Pa
    Prob wait till spring before i do a test hatch. Cant see keeping chicks in the garage for that long a time. Wife kill me.

I dont have any friends other then yall that are into chickens. My father in law raised them 60 years ago but doesnt talk about them and doesnt remember alot.

I think i may plug it in and make sure it runs and all, hate to get all ready to hatch and it not work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by