1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Got an old surge milking machine from a farmer near me!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by littlepatchofheaven, Apr 15, 2009.

  1. littlepatchofheaven

    littlepatchofheaven In the Brooder

    Dec 19, 2007
    Went to get feed at this farmers place and he gave me an old surge milking machine! it needs new rubber and gaskets and the goat adapters. anyone know where i can find parts for it?
    Thanks! S*

  2. griffin45

    griffin45 Songster

    Oct 15, 2008
    South Central Virgina
    Wish I did, but I don't. Just wanted to show envy....

  3. ksacres

    ksacres At Your Service

    Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    I got my machine from www.portablemilkers.com they sell all kinds of parts, I haven't gotten very good customer service from them though.

    You might try ebay, too. There's usually a few auctions for refurb machines, you could try contacting them to see if they have parts or where they get them from.

    Most goat supply places sell replacement parts, so you could also try www.hoeggargoatsupply.com or www.caprinesupply.com
  4. Evernf

    Evernf In the Brooder

    Jan 27, 2009
    What do you do with a milking machine
  5. Chirpy

    Chirpy Balderdash

    May 24, 2007
    Congrats on the new/old machine! I was also going to say try e-bay and a google search.

    Evernf asked:
    What do you do with a milking machine

    Most people with dairy goats milk them by hand. But, if you have multiple goats and/or have hand or arm pain a milking machine is a huge time and pain saver. You attach it like cow dairys do to the teats and let the machine milk for you.​
  6. littlepatchofheaven

    littlepatchofheaven In the Brooder

    Dec 19, 2007
    Hi, thanks for all the replies!
    I do have carpel tunnel in both wrists, and i am only milking one goat right now but if i can get the machine going i can milk more of my does!
  7. Evernf

    Evernf In the Brooder

    Jan 27, 2009
    What do you hook it up to when I was milking I think I hooked it to something been a long time ago mind growing dim cant see the light at the end of the tunnel

  8. Farmer Kitty

    Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

    Sep 18, 2007
    Around here our local farm supply store carries a variety of the gaskets and liners. The goat adaptors we would have to go to the guys that service the vacuum pumps etc.

    My suggestion would be to ask the farmer you got it from. He should be able to help.
  9. Chatychick

    Chatychick Songster

    Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Paul Hamby at www.hambydairysupply.com will help you with all your questions and tell you what you will need to replace and how to hook it up to the vacuum pump...hopefully you got the pump to go with it. He is very very helpful and will lead you the right way and not pressure you into buying anything from him, but he does guarantee what he sells. also partsdepartmentonline.com is very helpful also...Iwould recommend alny of theses sites to help you ...good luck I love mine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by