Got another squatter!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JennsPeeps, Dec 5, 2008.

1. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My BR squatted for the first time this morning, and did it a second time this afternoon. She let me rough her up pretty good (heh).

I know that squatting doesn't = egg-laying, but it's a nice precursor to it as any! Plus it's pretty funny to rub her down and listen to her talk to me.

DBF is jealous that Dumpling squatted for me first.

2. Mesa

Mesa Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    New Mexico
    LOL, I had no idea what squatting was until a few weeks ago. Now all of my 7 hens are squatting except for one. 3 are laying, I cant wait for them all to start laying. My kids are fighting over who gets to carry the egg (or eggs) into the house each day.

3. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Cool, soon you'll be getting eggs.

4. Sylvie

Sylvie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Ohio
    6 days from first squat to egg for mine.
    She was getting to the point where if I looked at her she'd squat.
    [​IMG]

5. Pullet Pimp

Pullet Pimp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Ohio
    I too wondered when the squat would come and if I'd notice. I just got my first egg this week on the 3rd guessing BR and another today that I got to watch the NHR lay [​IMG] . About a day or two before my first egg I noticed a real change in all of their behavior. Usually they are kind of standoffish and would run when I pet them (especially the SLW), but when I do it now several of them just squat down and put their wings out a bit and stay there as long as I scratch. I've got about 8-10 out of 19 doing this squat now. Still only have 2 eggs though but.....[​IMG]

6. annaserv

annaserv Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2008
    northern Wisconsin
    I've got and obstacle course when I walk in the doorway with all the squatters. Really hard not to stumble over them.

So far 2 out of the 16 new girls are laying.

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Squatting is submission. Your hens are waiting for you, the dominant roo (doesn't matter if you are a man or a woman), to mount them. Petting their back is similar stimulation to a roo on their back. Essentually when you do this you have mated them. You will even notice some hens shaking it off as they walk away. Refluffing their feathers is like checking your lipstick and straightening your skirt after a passionate kiss and embrace.

Why do people keep keep posting about squatting in association with egg laying?? They have little to do with one another. It is more a case of maturity and recognizing the pecking order and a little bit of sexual maturity in the mix.

8. rdranch

rdranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Strasburg,CO
    Squatting comes in handy when you need to catch them![​IMG][​IMG]

9. Mom2Cool

Mom2Cool Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    ok "sqatting"? And you all mean in their nexting boxes where they lay eggs? I'm not sure I'm familiar with this term yet & if I had heard this I would have thought it a term meant for sitting on their eggs.. I love the education one gets at the BYC.... [​IMG]

10. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:I am sure that at least MOST here know that squatting doesn't mean they are about to pop out an egg. However, since it IS a sign of sexual maturity, it is yet another important indicator that they are getting ready to lay......eventually. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but that they are getting closer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by