Got Ants?????

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by krazeepolack, Sep 23, 2010.

1. krazeepolack

krazeepolack Chillin' With My Peeps

This is the second time since My chicks moved in, that I found an ant COLONY snagging feed from around thier two feeders. Previously, while living in the high Sierra's, I put out "comet" to get rid of the invaders. It's amazing how much feed a colony can carry away. Well, today, I applied the "comet" again. I no longer reside in the high Sierra's- Carefully spreading it "ordinary comet cleanser"AROUND THE RUN, & allowing nothing near the feeders, the ants immediately backed off !!!! I may get flak for this from someone out there, but for most ant colonies, this economical remedy works GOT ANTS?? A possible solution!!!!!

2. jeb251

jeb251 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I've done the comet as well but found a earth friendlier way, I put plain grits down, they eat the, they swell up and they die,,,,,muhahahahahaha,,,,,,oh sorry, anyway just make sure the ground is dry and if the grits do get wet, just wait till everything dries out and put more down, I never have to use it at my coops though the birds just love them. Oh and by the way, I am from Bakersfield, decided I wanted to freeze my a** off so I moved here 5 years ago and the economy took a dump so I am stuck here for a while

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

The kind of ants that I have trouble with are "grease eating" ants. They don't seem to have a taste for chicken food (grains) so I doubt they'd go for grits either [​IMG]
    They sure do love cat food though [​IMG]

4. ZombieChickens

ZombieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

No ants here.....only STINKBUGS!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

5. krazeepolack

krazeepolack Chillin' With My Peeps

But, the grits are MINE!!!!!!! I don't wanna share.

Yeesh! I wouldn't want to live in B'sfield, either!!

6. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Quote:That's a myth. Adults ants do not eat solids, only liquids such a sweets. They are done growing so all they need are high energy foods to keep them going so they can feed the larvae.

7. jeb251

jeb251 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    here we go,,,,,,,,,

well its the best working myth I have ever used, I have been doing it for years, and it has worked every time

8. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Quote:It obviously works somehow? [​IMG]

I was just clearing it up that adult ants do not ingest solid food. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by