Got Baby chicks in 2 weeks ago!!!-Update and a few q's about breeds

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Double T, May 15, 2011.

1. Double T

Double T Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2011
    W Texas
    OK it's been hectic with the fire and the move, but my baby chicks came in two weeks ago, last friday. They are too stinking cute, ordered from Cackle, ordered and paid for 27, ended sup with 29, don't know if someone miscounted or added a few for death loss. ORdered 5 of each-Buff Orpingtons, Easter Eggers, barred ROcks, RIR's, and Cherry eggers. And two EE roos.

Ok I got the roos figured out I think cause they put some sort of blue and green die right above their beaks. Took me forever to figure out the EE and Buff girls, but I finally figured them out I think (the yellow EE girls have funky blueish brownish feet, and the others have yellow legs and feet, or I think so), a few of the EE girls are kind of colored like the boys. And I counted 6 black rocks. But I can't for the life of me figure out the RIR and Cherry Eggers apart. I've tried looking at each one and kind of going by markings, but then I get somthing like 7 of one kind and 3 of the other. Some have a little dark line behind their eyes, and some have a redder part of the beak than the others, but again, the #'s don't add up then. I can't do pictures right now as my main computer is packed and this one is a pain to get pictures on. I looked at the cackle and McMurry chick pics but it doesn't show the side and backs to help either. lol

Anyways they are cuties, eating like little pigs, I was filling up two of the chick feeders 3 times a day before I put the top with the holes on it this week (I was scared someone was gonna get hung and cut their head off with it on when they were itty bitty). I'm also filing up two one gallon drinkers every day too so they are drinking good. Was lent a fancy brooder for them and they stayed at my mom's the first week and a half becuase of the situation here, Had to use the heat lamp cause I couldn't get the one in the brooder to work, and my mom called when they were a week old to come catch chicks! The little stinkers were already flying out of the brooder!! Never knew they grew that fast. So I brought them home last week and put them in the coop in a small pen, they are loving it. Love to watch them run around and now they are mock fighting. LOL One little red hen chick as soon as you stick you head in will run up to you to see what your doing, lol.

I moved the middle hen chicks which are about 14 or so week old in with the main flock and have watched them. they are getting along great, maybe cuase they were penned side by side?? All four of them are Red Stars and they weren't too lovable in the pen but out in the big pen and they are my babies, all four stay under your feet, if you swat down they are in your lap, and will follow you around the pen like a puppy, lol. Two of those have big top notches and two don't, hope that doesn't mean that some will be roosters cause I'm attatched to them already. lol But they don't have any even startings of the spurs and I'd think they should??? Honestly I don't know how you tell when they are little, lol.

I had a sick hen earlier, she was fevered one day and stood in her water and stayed fluffed up, my FIL said she prob had an egg broken inside her. I did have my # of eggs go down right before she got sick, so we just watched her. She was unfluffed yesterday and moving around good and eating actually, so maybe she's got it all righted out now, I also added a bowl of grit in there for them so am wondering if that may of had something to do with it? (may be in the wrong place but I hate having to split posts up cause I feel like somthing relivant may be missed if you do).

Anyways I'm hooked to chickens now, lol they are tons of fun. Did want to ask about dusting and worming chicks and chickens? Should I? if so how often? and with what??

2. smokeykk

smokeykk Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    You could worm them, if you want too, and dusting is only neccesary if there are mites.

3. Double T

Double T Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2011
    W Texas
    Quote:with what? brands? Amounts?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by