Got cavies! What kind?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by jossanne, Dec 24, 2008.

1. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I just bought 3 cavies, my first foray into the world of guinea pigs. They're our 10yo daughter's Christmas present, but I'm at least as excited to have them as she will be tomorrow. Two are abyssinian, and I'm not sure what the other is. Its coat feels like the other two, and it's kind of a medium length - not short, but not long. It almost feels wiry, but it doesn't have swirls in it like an abyssinian. It is tri-color, with brindle, black and white.

Can an American cavy have this length of fur? I can't find a picture that looks quite like it. This one is a female.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This one is a male.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This one is a female, expecting babies any time now. I just wanted to buy her, but the feed store guy wanted to clear out cages for more chicks, and would only sell the 3 together.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Cuties!!! We bought 4 cavies 2 weeks ago for our daughter's Christmas. We had a mama. daddy and two 3 week old babies!! The babies were weaned and we got rid of the mama and daughter. Me and my husband have been playing with them several times a day until tomorrow so they wouldn't get too crazy on us. Our daddy pig is smooth and is colored like a rat!! He kinda freaks me out but he is SOOOO sweet. The baby boy looks yours in pic #3. I can't wait til she gets them in the morning.

3. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Good luck with your new pets!

4. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    [​IMG] Awwwwwww what cute Piggies you have. I have 4 myself and they are sweet babies. Congrats on the babes.

5. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    Ok, I don't have a bunch of time, so I will be brief. If you need any specific cavy questions answered pm me or email me.

#1 is an American and maybe a mix with some Silkie in there. Silkies are long haired.... The color is a TSW ... Tortoise Shell and White.

#2 is an Abyssinian and red/white obviously. I would say that her/him rosettes are lacking for show, but good face.

#3 is another Abyssinian and the color is Golden Agouti/Red/White. Again not the necessary rosette pattern. Rosettes are the curls and you count the centers and placement.

Over all you have some nice pets there. They all look very healthy and in good weight. All colors we love. I just had a trio of baby TSW American Boars born today. All very nice. One will be named Kringle.

Merry Christmas!

6. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Thanks so much Pam! I appreciate your input. I didn't expect any to be show quality, as they were the feed store's breeding stock. Obviously, feed stores aren't known for show quality animals LOL.

We are thrilled with them, though they have hardly been handled. All seem healthy and well, nails trimmed, teeth look good. The first one has a mat in her fur by her left hind leg, but otherwise they seem perfect. The females are between a year and 18 months old, and the male is pretty young, though they were unsure. He feels very FAT to me, but it's been years since I held one.

7. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    I used to have guinea pigs when I was younger. Havent haad them in several years. Yours are very pretty. I really like the one in the first pic. Santa is bringing my son a dwarf hamster.

8. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    Your welcome Jossane. I can't tell you how much we absolutely love our cavies. Have an entire barn full actually.

I just reread your first post and I have to say that maybe the first one isn't a mix of silkie/american. It could be a mix of teddy and american. That would give it a harsher and a bit longer coat.

Here is a link to our sorely outdated Caviary site. You can check out the different breeds and colors. We do not have all the colors (even though we tried! [​IMG]).
    http://community.webshots.com/user/cowgirlcaviary

WAY back when we first started all this we had a Golden Agouti American boar we named Charlie. He was the pet store pig that started it all. Then came his wife Missy who looked just like your last piggie. We had some really fun litters with those two.

And to think I started this for the kids and then went on to loving them myself. LOLOL Hope your daughter enjoys them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by