Got chickens today, have a behavior question.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cowgirlchick, Apr 19, 2009.

1. cowgirlchick

cowgirlchick New Egg

Apr 19, 2009
    I just got 24 bovan browns today, I'm a first time chicken owner. I went out tonight to check on them and they were all crowded in a corner of the coop. Is this normal? I'm afraid something was trying to get them.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Bovan Browns... that's a new one for me.

Welcome.

Sometimes chickens will do that when they are put into new surroundings. They like to stay close to one another for protection... just in case.

ALSO... you failed to mention how old these chickens are. If they are young they may be too cold.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  3. cowgirlchick

cowgirlchick New Egg

Apr 19, 2009
    they are just ready to start laying
    I guess bovan browns are also called red sex link
    thanks for the reply

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Sounds like they are just a bit scared in their new surroundings. It can take them a week or so to settle in; sometimes longer.

5. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Quote:I absolutely agree. When we bring our chicks outside from the brooder to the coop they do this the first few nights until they get used to their surroundings.

6. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

This would be a good time to spend with them if you can manage it. As you reassure them they'll bond and relax...especially if you bring food with you...[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  7. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    [​IMG] Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG]

Some crickets or meal worms will make you their favorite lady!!

Cindy

8. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    ours didn't crowd the corner when we got them, but they were about 7-9 months when we did. and to me they didn't seem terribly used to human interaction on a more personal level (I wanted to hold them and such). my advice is keep them in the coop for a week so they get used to it and figure out it's safe. two of ours started laying within the first week, but the other two took until the 3rd week to lay. also, treats are the key to getting them to come to you and like you. mine LOVE strawberries, salad, or really whatever I would bring them. try and use something long like a carrot to begin with, so they don't have to get as close at first, then the next thing you know you'll have to watch your fingers! would love to see some pics of them too!

9. cowgirlchick

cowgirlchick New Egg

Apr 19, 2009
    thanks for all the replies, I went out this morning to check on them and had my first egg! They seem calmer tonight and aren't crowding the corner so bad, is there anything I can do to get them used to their nesting boxes?

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:You can add golf balls, fake eggs, egg shaped rocks. Basically anything that resembles an egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by