Got Chicks in Yesterday had 6 DOA have lost 3 since!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by johnsonpoultryfarms, Aug 20, 2011.

1. johnsonpoultryfarms

johnsonpoultryfarms Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2011
    Reeltown, Alabama
    We received our shipment of Mille Fleur Bantams from Stromburgs yesterday morning I had 6 DOA in the box I had 3 go down within a few hours and have one not doing well now they just seem to become lethargic and will not eat or drink then they arent able to walk then shortly thereafter expire.... I have boiled an egg chopped it up and they are eating it ive also put sugar in their water... I have raised chicks before granted it has been several years but I have never experienced this high of a loss rate.... any suggestions on what I can do??? as of now none of the others are showing any symptoms

2. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Sorry to hear that. How many did you order? And I'd call the company about it too.

3. johnsonpoultryfarms

Aug 7, 2011
    Reeltown, Alabama
    we ordered 25 and I called them friday they were very cooperative but the only advice they gave me was to call them monday morning with a final count so they could refund me.... i would rather just have what i've got live [​IMG]

4. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Where are you and where were they shipped from? Maybe too much heat along the way? Or left in the PO truck too long? I know it's been very hot in a lot of the country.

I'm sorry, I'd be very upset too. We lost one chick on the drive home from the feed store, I was not happy when I opened the box to put them in the brooder, not sure how I'd react to 6 DOA and more dropping after that.

5. newchick13

newchick13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2011
    Somers NY
    I think I'd cry! When I ordered my chicks, the company (My Pet Chicken) suggested to call them right away and they would coach you along the path to follow to get the little ones up and running...

6. johnsonpoultryfarms

Aug 7, 2011
    Reeltown, Alabama
    I am in Alabama and they were shipped from Minnesota I am at a loss as to what to do next I have tried everything I know and anything that I have read and they still appear to be borderline on whether they will survive.... just put more sugar water in with them and another chopped up boiled egg

7. sham30

sham30 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2009
    Maine
    I would call the company, I wonder if it was hot during shipping? Sorry for your loss [​IMG]

8. johnsonpoultryfarms

Aug 7, 2011
    Reeltown, Alabama
    I am supposed to call them Monday morning to give them a final loss count which so far is still standing at 9 and I believe that is what happened to them is they got to hot in-transit...... but the good news I fed them 2 chopped boiled eggs in addition to sugar water since yesterday and so far they seem to be doing good the one that I was concerned about has even rallied!! I was up all night checking on them everytime I dozed off I would begin to worry [​IMG] but I went in a few minutes ago after my fiance left for work and they were all running around eating, scratching, and acting like healthy baby chicks!!! [​IMG] I will continue to pray that all goes well with them though and thanks everyone [​IMG]
    Chris Johnson

9. newchick13

newchick13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2011
    Somers NY
    great news! Glad to hear they are rallying!

10. johnsonpoultryfarms

Aug 7, 2011
    Reeltown, Alabama
    Still checking on them every hour and they are still doing great!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by