Got chicks on Wed...3 have already died. :(

kara_leigh

Songster
8 Years
May 3, 2011
Bradleyville, MO
I ordered 25 chicks from Meyer, and they arrived on Wed. One of my white broilers was DOA. Now, yesterday one of my BO suddenly died and just now I found one of my broilers dead suddenly. I check on my chicks frequently, and both of them seemed fine not long before I found them dead. What is going on? They all have fresh water, plenty of medicated starter feed, and I change their bedding every 2 days. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

I would add electrolytes made especially for poultry. There is one called Save A Chick that I keep on hand. I hope this helps. Also check for pasty butt and wash with warm water if their is dried poo. Be very gentle not to tear their vent if it is dried.
This is all I have to offer and I hope it is enough
hmm.png

Last edited:
I'll go pick up some Sav-a-chick tomorrow. I know of two places around here that sells it (both about an hour away though *sigh*). I have been checking for pasty butt, and have been cleaning it off. I just hold their butts under warm running water and gently rub it with my fingers. I had a few that had it, but none of the broilers have so far.

In the mean time some people put sugar in their water. It doesn't have any vitamins or electrolytes but it may help a bit until you can get to the store. Definately load up on those types of things so you have them on hand. I love forty five minutes from civilization so I keep just about one of everything that I might need just in case. I set up a Chicken First Aid Kit so to speak and I am prepared for just about anything now.

Same here, we live 45 min to an hour away from anything. I picked up the Sav-a-chick the last time we were at the tractor supply store, but I put it back down. I put sugar and Poly-Vi-Sol in their water up until last night when I started giving them plain water. Maybe I should keep doing it?

We do have them under heat, but they are only at 91 degrees. I keep an eye on their behavior, and it seems like a good temperature for them. *shrug*

I'm kind of new to raising baby chicks (we're on our first shipment of hatchery babies) but I have been told to never get them wetter than neccesary. Instead of running water over their backsides maybe try a warm washcloth so they don't get as wet. They could be huddling next to another chick to warm up and chilling it? Also did the dead ones look like they were being picked at? You may have to put a few in time out if they're pecking at the other ones. We just got our 25 chicks on Thursday from McMurray and haven't had any fatalities (crossing our fingers). I read all of the feedback I could on the hatcheries and I read some bad reviews of Meyer but hopefully the rest of the chicks make it!
Best if Luck!

They are only wet for about a minute. I blow dry them completely dry before I put them back in the brooder. None of the ones with pasty butt were the ones that died.

No, they didn't seem like they were pecked. It was like they were literally fine one minute, then dead the next.

Quote:
I'd put away your heat lamp....broilers are naturally hot natured...91 degrees is like cooking them alive. Take away all the heat and watch them....it's the hottest part of the summer and heat lamps really aren't necessary. Answered a thread about like this the other day and it was too much heat from heat lamps in that case also....she reduced the heat source and no more deaths.

Back
Top Bottom