Got chicks today and brooder pics!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by southmsprepper, Apr 2, 2012.

1. southmsprepper

southmsprepper New Egg

Apr 2, 2012
    Built a brooder over the last couple days with some new but mostly scrap wood I already had. Its based on a design I found here on BYC. Its kind of a two part brooder which removes from the base so I can take them out to play in the grass some as they grow. Half of it has a bottom and a larger half is bottomless. Its about 2ft by 5ft, and about 2ft tall.

Please note, I'm not a carpenter, so some parts are a little off and some things are a little crooked, but overall I'm pleased with my attempt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got 5 Buff Orpingtons and 5 Barred Rocks from the local co-op today. I still have to add a top, and will finish up tomorrow.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    That is awesome. [​IMG]
    Very good job!

3. chickenmanII

chickenmanII Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2012
    Florida
    looks good to me, I have built three and I have not had a chicken complain about any of them being crooked yet. If I do I'll let you know, they are definitely not perfect. Good looking coop and chicks, good luck.

4. Megs501

Megs501 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2012
    Flint Hills KS
    My Coop
    Looks great! I'm starting to wish we had built one- hubby is great w that stuff but too busy w work, so I'm using a dang rubbermaid tote. =/. LOVE those babies, too sweet! That look happy to me! :)

5. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

X's 2!

6. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    [​IMG] In awe [​IMG] Your chicks look like they LOVE it. All my chicks get is an old dog kennel!!!

7. DPC poultry

DPC poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2010
    Mt. washington Ky
    nice brooder pen!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by