Got chicks TODAY. Had questions, but I'm pretty sure they're okay!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Puddle Foot Farm, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Puddle Foot Farm

Puddle Foot Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Maryland
    Okay guys. Tomorrow we're getting twenty five three-day-old chicks [well, I hope]. We've raised chicks before, but not this many. How big of a box will we need for them for the first couple days? And we got a 250 Watt red bulb, approximately how high should we hang it?
    Currently, we have a 1'3" by 2" box, and I've been trying to get thermometer readings for the temperature but the thermometer is being difficult.
    Oh! In case any of y'all want to know, we're getting five silkies, seven welsummers, eight ameraucanas, and five speckled sussex.
    Thanks in advance!
    ~Chelsea

UPDATE!: We have received the little fuzzies! And they're super-tiny. I'm wondering if they might've accidentally sent us bantam, because our silkies aren't that much smaller than them.. I still have to do the official count, but I think we have around twenty eight. Pictures we'll come later!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2008
  2. orcasislandchickens

orcasislandchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    The light seems hot to me. I used a 150 watt bulb for a day or so, and switched to a 100 watt for the next couple of weeks then to a sixty, which they still sit under once in a while. You can use more wattage if you hang the bulb higher. Get a thermometer and set it an inch or two off the bottom of your brooder box, (I used an old paperback) adjust the height of the light until the temp is about 90-95. It will be great to be set up and ready for your chicks, and it takes a while for the whole thing to warm up and the temp to stabilize.

INMHO You'll need a bigger box soon. I was able to get a watermelon box from the produce section of our market. lined with a tarp and with pine shavings in the bottom it is pretty good.

3. Puddle Foot Farm

Aug 20, 2008
    Maryland
    Yeah, I know it's too hot, but I sent my mom to Southern States so she can't complain. I'm trying to get everything ready just to switch on in the morning so my mom can wait for them, since I have to go to school.
    Thanks for your input! Now I'm going to go pray that I don't light the box on fire while doing this paperback trick. [​IMG]

4. Shogun99

Shogun99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Las Cruces, NM
    I live in el paso, TX and I used a 60 W bulb with mine right off the bad and didn't have a single fatality, sickness, or any real problems. Enjoy the birds....oh and I hung my light up about a foot to a foot and a half.

Ryan

5. tntstanifer

tntstanifer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2007
    Tennessee
    Quote:Woohoo Chelsea, you're going to have fun!!
    Exactly how big is the box? I use a huge rubbermaid like container, it must be about 2 foot X 4-5 foot. It says it holds 45 gallons, which I know doesn't help much. But, 25 chicks outgrow my box in like a week or two. I also have them inside my house with a 100 watt bulb hanging about 12 inches from the bottom. I also lay the top across the box the first week or so. Don't forget to put something on the bottom that they can walk easily on. I put down about an inch of pine shavings and cover that with a layer of paper towels. I leave that down for a couple of days until they've really figured out their food & water.
    One of my all time faves is the speckled sussex! Post some pics when you get them home.

6. Puddle Foot Farm

Aug 20, 2008
    Maryland
    Yipes! I need help telling which are which. We should have Welsummers, Speckled Sussex, and Ameraucanas. We have some chicks with stripey face mesks. I'm in love with them, especially the one who is asleep in my hand. [​IMG] Any ideas what they are? And how to tell them all apart? [​IMG]

7. Puddle Foot Farm

Aug 20, 2008
    Maryland
    Okay guys! I think I got everything figured out. John at X-Treme Game Birds Hatchery was VERY helpful, and it turns out my little speckle face is an Ameraucana. In total, we have 27 chicks. 9 Ameraucanas, 7 Welsummers, 6 silkies, and 5 speckled sussex. I have a gray and a buff silkie, and the others might be white/really light buff. I can't tell which. I'll post pictures of them later and maybe you can diagnose them! Again, thanks so much for your help. I hung the bulb a couple feet above the ground and it's just about a perfect temperature. We'll need a new box soon, but I think it'll be fine for now. I'm just so in love with all of them! [​IMG]

8. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Awww congrats on getting your little chickies!

Mine won't get here til next Friday...hopefully!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by