1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Got Chinese Golden Pheasant Eggs in my Bator!!! (1st time hatchers)

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by NC29mom, May 16, 2011.

1. NC29mom

NC29mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    And can't wait until Saturday!!!! I will be sure to post tons of pictures. These will be our first hatch not consisting of chickens!!! We live right next door to our State Aviary Zoo, and luckily my fiance is great friends with the owner. This is how we ended up with the eggs. Anybody else have these kind of pheasants? If so, got any advice???

2. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    What other breeds of pheasant does the zoo raise?
    In N.H.,Tony.

3. NC29mom

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    I'm not really sure....although I have been numerous times. My fiance is into the pheasants, I prefer bantam chickens.

Here's a link to their website though, it should tell you....

http://shwpark.com/

4. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    They have great argus, IMPEYAN (!!!) , Golden, and Lady Amhearst,
    Yep I have peach, red, yellow, and DT Goldens.
    THEY HAVE MOUNTAIN QUAIL TOO!!!!!!

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  5. NC29mom

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    We've ended up with 6 that hatched.....three did not and apparantely were not fertilized. SO excited! I will take some pictures tomorrow and post. Yes, we have really enjoyed getting some "special eggs". If these go well, we are planning on getting some other kinds to hatch. Will have to see.

Sylvian Heights is a really, really nice bird farm (as we call it). I guess at times I take for granted living right next door. I remember going outside really late at night or really early in the AM (dog had to pee) and hearing what sounded like a child screaming. I told my fiance about it and he just kinda laughed. Well, come to find out.....it's one of the animals at the bird farm. I think it's the one with the crazy hairdo (East African Crowned Crane)! CRAZY!

BobwhitequailLover: So, we thought maybe the light colored chicks were the females and the darker ones were the males......but our friend is saying not to judge them like that.......he says to look for the aggressive, mean ones and they are your males!! ha.

6. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Chris Newton use to work at Sylvan Heights.He was a member of the bird club in Ma.,then we went to work for Mike and Ali.Last I knew he had moved to Fl.and I believe I heard he was working in Disney,but I am not 100% sure of this.
    In N.H.,Tony.

7. BobwhiteQuailLover

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Males will also have a cream ish blue iris and hens a brown/rust colored iris.

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  8. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    The young can be sexed by checking their eye colour - the hens have a dark brown eye and the young cock birds a silver ...

Is this true for goldens ? thanks

9. BobwhiteQuailLover

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Yep! I guess for males it is blue, that is what my book said. [​IMG]

10. NC29mom

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    Quote:Far as we know he's not there any more (Chris). My fiance knows Mike & Ali, but the person we got the eggs from actually owns all of the land the farm is on....he doesn't own the farm. I will have to check their eye color and see what we have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by