1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

got Christmas tree tote to use for big brooder on clearance for my NEW baby Girls

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ladyearth, Feb 11, 2015.

1. ladyearth

ladyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    case some of yall interseted Your W might have some still left.
    W. had 3 on clearance $15... asked Hubby Monday to hurry there please and buy it. I was hoping to also store several pedastal fan. But they would not fit. so I only glad bought the one. I believe it was originally $30..... right now using a fishtank with a mesh metal top( flea mkt find)only 10 gallons,though
    Using the hood light prev had on an old fish tank or got junk pickup or who knows??? LOL Heck I gave away a cracke d 19 gallon tank right before we moved here.. Duh.... well amyway
    I got so far one 25 watt incand in one side and the 40 watt tube bulb in the other holder. prob not enough heat. But raised the temp in hallway so house is very warm..... they seem content for now...
    also presently using a new bird tube waterer. course the little sillybutts keep poo in it.
    and an old but cleaned out metal round 8 hole feeder.. AM using Manna pro organic this time Starter Crumbles
    Gonna give those girls plenty of room in that new Giant tote. corse I rather use more natural stuff that is why the glass fishtank
    I feed my almost yea old out of mostly glass except when its freezy cold.. already had one glass coffee pot crack when forgot to bring it in overnight..... I got them for $1 at flea mkts...
    thanks yall ....OH..... arent newbies chicks so entertaining. I did not take any pics of the last set.... dang it....

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Lady Earth: I hope you're not trying to keep the whole tote temp up to 90*... They only need that much heat under the lamp. I'm glad you got a nice big tote. They'll grow faster than you can imagine. Enjoy!

3. ladyearth

ladyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    not just an area... Hubby is to start on that CHRISTMAS TREE LIGHTS pvc heater/////
    He made one for the 1 year olds but he used the heavier schedule 40.. This time he got the thinner SEwer and drain thinner pvc.....

did more looking here.. a Melinda used the same tote back in 2007.
    wow.......sometimes we get the same idea
    her tote was nice but the pvc heater is so neat.... and watching one chick sleeping on top of it.....

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by