1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Got Comb? My Red Star Harriet Does.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Desert Peep, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Desert Peep

Desert Peep In the Brooder

May 18, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    About a month ago I purchased several baby chicks from MPC, including two Red Star Pullets. One of the chicks, has a very large comb compared to the other. She is also a much lighter color. I thought Red Stars were sex-links. Is my Harriet a roo, or just "well endowed"? Any feedback is greatly appreciated as roosters aren't permitted in city limits. I love BYC:) Thank you chicken experts. The last photo is of the other Red Star.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    My other Red Star

[​IMG]

2. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Songster

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    From what I have read I thought the males were the cream/light colored chicks and the girls were more of the red like your second picture showed. The comb is a little suspicous as well. Last summer I had a Red star go broody and hatched out 3 babies. Well the momma was a Red Star and the daddy was a RIR. Well the chicks were yellowish and they all turned out to be boys. They were all red, with a little bit of white/cream trim and few black feathers in the tale feathers. Talk about confused. The local livestock supply kept telling me that they should be cream (red star male) and I said they aren't. But they are a cross between and RIR and another chicken (white rock maybe).

3. hudsonhousechicks

hudsonhousechicks Songster

Jun 2, 2010
    Austin
    Ack! Well, she's just precious and perfect whatever she is! So. Cute. [​IMG]

4. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    That's a rooster, sorry [​IMG]

5. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Yep, that's a rooster. [​IMG]

6. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    Some RSLs are much lighter as chicks than others, but yours is quite light, and that comb seals it. I've added a couple of pics of mine first at 3 wks, then at the beginning of the summer (14 wks). One was quite lighter, but the combs were pullet sized. My white leghorn is also in the second pic - all three now have ample red combs and are laying.

Not a great shot, but you can tell there's not much comb to speak of and the chick on the right is very light colored
    [​IMG]

14 wks, combs still small and pink
    [​IMG]

7. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Songster

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Rooster

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I would send photos to MPC and see what they say.

9. Keri78

Keri78 Songster

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    cock-a-doooooodle-dooooooo!!!![​IMG] I'm sure you can re-home him...he's a cutie!!!

10. chick-george

chick-george In the Brooder

Apr 10, 2010
    Lancaster
    I got my Red Star girl from MPC in April and Harriet is most definitely not a girl. Good thing MPC is good about their gender guarantee.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by