got day old chics 3/23, doing good?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chooniecat, Mar 25, 2009.

1. chooniecat

chooniecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    p/u 3 aracauna,2 buff orp, 2 nh red day olds monday and they seem to be great. most don't like to be handled. (will get pixs on soon as I learn how to do it) 1 of the aracaunas fights FOR me to pick her up and my issue is they will eventually be my dinner and I am pretty sure I can still do it but will they be mentally stunted if they don't have a "mama" to snuggle them now?(i am sort of being silly but....) i take them out couple times a day and put on lap,talk to them and just generally handle them so they will be used to me.

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I have friends who raised animals for food. Their 1st rule is "don't play with your food".

I wouldn't recommend handling the chicks a lot unless you have to. It's not necessary and they'll do fine without a "mama". You'll have an easier time when it's time to process them.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:It isn't that they don't want you to hold them, it is The Big Scary Hand coming down to get them. It appears to them as a predator would. That is why they run around trying to get away. You will notice they are fine once you get a hold of one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by