Got ducklings and goslings from Holdereads today- PICS ADDED post 6

raindrop

Songster
11 Years
Feb 10, 2008
Western Oregon
I just got a call from Holderreads, I get my pair of Pilgrims and some mystery ducks today, he is not sure what he has available but no more Appleyards this year
sad.png

I said I would like calm ducks that were good foragers. Runners were my second choice, but now that I have learned a little more about ducks I don't know if they are considered "calm" or not.
I will pick them at their place later this afternoon, now I need to scramble and get a brooder set up!
Will post pictures tonight!

Last edited:
Hi fellow Oregonians!

I'm still doing research as to the breed of duck I'm going to get, but had decided that I'd like to buy them from Holderreads. Not too bad of a drive to go pick them up. I'm looking for ducks that are good foragers and QUIET! I have read that the runners have great personality, but do tend to be on the noisy side.

I am eager to find out what your 'mystery ducks' are going to be.

I can't have a rooster, because I'm in town, but I would love to have a few ducks and make BABIES!

Has anyone read any of the books on waterfowl that Mr Holderreads has written?

Quote:
If you have waterfowl, his two books (Storey's guide to Ducks and the Booke of Geese) are all you need. I refer to them constantly.

Now, it's too late to warn you, but they are Mennonites. So when you meat them don't blurt out "HEY DUDE, why the long crazy beard!?!" *lol* I've always felt nothing but warmth from those two and you are very privelaged to get to meet them.

Now, I probably will never stray from my Appleyards, because they're simply amazing performing birds... but if I were to get mystery ducks, I'd hope for Saxony or Welsh Harlequin.

The mystery ducklings are Dutch Hookbills! He gave me 2 extra so I got 6 instead of 4. They sound perfect for my needs, Millie said she thought they were funny-looking when they first imported them in 2000, but since they have become one of her favorite breeds since they are so sweet.
They have a roman nose, so they are a bit unusual looking when adults.
Will post pics after the little guy is in bed and my dinner is eaten!

Chamelle, welcome to the forum. I have only been here a short time but have learned so much! I didn't get to meet Dave (very busy day, he had just finished lunch at 4pm) but Millie was very helpful and thanked me for being available for pick up on such short notice. Both of his books on waterfowl are excellent, I highly recommend them. I checked mine out from the library, but will soon be purchasing my own copies.

Okay, these guys crack me up already. The goslings especially are so friendly and curious. They fall all over the place and their wings are ridiculously small. The little ducklings can run circles around the geese.

Here they are settling in, I put chopped lettuce on the water and they went crazy.
IMG_3698.jpg

Pilgrim goslings, female on left.
IMG_3712.jpg

Hello there camera thingie!
IMG_3704.jpg

Little gander gosling
IMG_3711.jpg

Dutch hookbill duckling (no flash so it looks blue from the brooder light)
IMG_3725.jpg

Night night little guys.
IMG_3716.jpg

I need a bigger brooder, wasn't quite prepared for their arrival on short notice. Now I need to pick names. I just love them already!
love.gif

Oh they are very cute! I know what you mean about them going crazy for lettuce, I put some in our brooder this morning and they acted like they were all at Disneyland or something.
tongue.png

Crazy little fuzzy things they are.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom