Got eggs 1130 a.m. should i put them in bator tonight or the morning?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Smokin Silkies, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Smokin Silkies

Smokin Silkies formerly browneyebuttafly

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    I received them about 11:30 this morning. Some people say let them sit about 6 hours, some say 8-10 and others say overnight????? I'm still kinda new to all of this so I don't know what to do. My only concern is that I won't be able to watch the temp or humidity while Im sleeping....and with 3 kids (2 under the age of 2), I don't feel like waking up in the middle of the night unless I HAVE to! So do you think it will be safe to let them sit til morning? It would be almost 24 hours??? Thanks

2. Madcap621

Madcap621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    In the morning is good. I just set eggs after the recommended 24 hour rest. You might even consider an additional 24 - 48 hours 'rest' before you start turning to let egg air cells and internals stabilize. Get your rest! You are gonna NEED it in 21 days!! [​IMG]

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    WHY WAIT ????

4. Smokin Silkies

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    I think its more because I'm nervous that once I put them in the bator tonight, I won't be up long enough to see if the temp and humidity is still ok. My bator has been set up for days now and the temp and humidity have been fine. I'm just not sure if that will change once I put the eggs in. Somebody told me before that the temp will change a little after putting the eggs in and I would need to adjust it??? I could be wrong, I think I'm just nervous! [​IMG]

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    LOL, I put mine in 9pm saturday, and was up till 2 am tinkering and watching! My bator is a 1588, I now just rely on the bator with it's auto temp, a big old glass thermometer, and a spot check. I'm waiting for my hygrometer, I'm just winging it after 3 days of ultra obsessing. Too much pressure!

6. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I got mine at 730AM today, and set them at 730PM tonight! [​IMG]

7. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    The temp is going to drop when you put the eggs in, but you won't want to adjust it until the eggs have had plenty of time to warm up. You may find you won't need to change the setting at all. If you go ahead and start them this evening you can get a good night's sleep and just check the temp in the AM. If you eventually decide to make adjustments, especially if you have a Little Giant, remember that a tiny bit of a turn on that knob can make a big jump in the temp. So moniter it closely so it doesn't get away from you.

8. Smokin Silkies

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    I have the Genesis 1588 with turner and a Little Giant. The LG was my first buy.....I love the 1588 over the LG although it did work well for me...the 1588 just works better [​IMG]
    I have the 1588 set up now. My hygrometer was calibrated and read 64%!!!! So I'm 11% off [​IMG] Its after midnight and I think I am going to go ahead and stick them in the bator now so I can go to bed. Thanks all for your help! Have a good night!

9. countrychics

countrychics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2010
    south boston virginia
    as we on ebay say... let eggs rest for 8 hours..thats considering that they we ""all shook up" as ELVIS called it..just prior to you picking up, or deliver..whichever the case...chances are they weren't but 8 hours suffices! remember, we rotate our eggs 3 times daily while in holding to ship..to me, sitting 24 hours would go against that law... just my thought..but this is how i've always done it and it works.. the fresher the better...so i agree with the above...why wait!!!... happy hatching!and come join us on ebay...it's tooo fun..even though we mostly just end up buying each others eggs...lol! [​IMG]

10. countrychics

countrychics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2010
    south boston virginia
    one more thought...as long as your bator was stablized hours before setting new eggs...you do need to monitor all nite 2 nite...its suppossed to drop..it'll rise back...check it in the mourning, or if u get up during the nite...all is well in chickens and chicks.....just trust and believe!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by