GOT EGGS! and a few ?'s now.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Jmiller429, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Jmiller429

Jmiller429 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    Bedford co. PA
    FINALLY! found the sneaky turkeys nest in between a couple round bales today, collected 5 eggs so far. dropped a chicken egg back in there so as to not arouse the suspicions [​IMG]
    Soo now i need to know some things. Alot of people say hand turning the eggs has a better success rate that auto chicken turners, is this true? Im going to go get another little giant here in a bit as the others are full of quail and chicken, and not really feeling like buying a turner i dont necessarily need. And does anyone know how many eggs a little giant will hold approx without the turners? with turners? thanks in advance. never hatched turkeys before, but hopefully everything goes smoothly.

2. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    I can't answer success rates using a hand turner vs automatic, but my turkey eggs fit nicely in my LG chicken egg racks. The rack I talking about is the newer one piece white plastic rack, not the old one with metal rails and clear plastic "finger cups". I'm 5 days into my experiment.

BTW, congrats on finding the eggs!

3. caral07

caral07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2010
    Ruston Louisiana
    I hand turned mine and I had a beter hatch then with the automatic turnors turning them. Good luck. My hen just recently died when she was setting on her onself. Good move by incabating.

4. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    I have never had the joy or the time to hand turn eggs but I get 99-100% hatches in my chicken and guinea eggs and 90-95% in my turkeys with an auto turner in my Dickey's and GQF Sportsman. I don't think it could get better by opening my bators 2X-3X a day. I also travel a lot so hand turning is out of the question. I have a LG that I use from time to time for quail eggs but I think you could put 25-30 turkey eggs. The newer style LG turner does hold turkey eggs well. I use it on the laundry room counter to store eggs all week before a hatch.(again, not home all the time to turn, the best $45.00 I have ever spent.) I am actually about to get a second LG turner because I am getting more eggs a week than a 42 egg turner will hold!

5. Jmiller429

Jmiller429 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    Bedford co. PA
    wish i was. I had a marauding dog kill my flock of 30 last year in my barn one night. After solving that problem, im down to 2 toms and 4 hens, one of which was a super late hatch from last year. Hopefully they keep churning them out. If i take all the eggs from the nest location will they stop laying there? I stashed a banty egg there cause that was all i had at the moment.

6. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    My turkeys may be dumb but I have found 3 nests this year used by turkeys and guineas and I take the eggs every night and they keep going back to the same spot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by