GOT EGGS!!! HELP

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kasiesmith, Feb 1, 2014.

1. kasiesmith

kasiesmith Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2013
    Newbury Park, Ca
    Hi All,

I have am having a problem getting all 5 of my Hens to lay, only 2 are laying. They lay 1 eggs every other day. They are all the same age. I have golf balls in there nesting box. Any one have any suggestions?

2. kasiesmith

Jul 11, 2013
    Newbury Park, Ca
    One more thing i forgot to ask, Is it ok that they are laying in the afternoon not morning?

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Kasie, how old are they? Have these 2 just started laying? If they took a winter break, or just started laying, they'll all be laying soon on their own schedule. Some hens never lay an egg every day! What kind are they? Do I see BO in your avatar? They'll also lay any time of day, though they typically don't lay eggs in the late afternoon. If you pay close attention, you may see that one hen/pullet may lay an egg at 6 am on Monday, perhaps at 8 am on Tuesday, and continue with a couple hours delay every day until she lays an egg some time in the afternoon. Then she'll skip a day, and start in again at 6 am the next day. Each pullet will start laying on her own schedule, with some breeds taking longer to mature than others. Enjoy the eggs you're getting. Soon, you'll have more than you know what to do with.

4. kasiesmith

Jul 11, 2013
    Newbury Park, Ca
    They were born June 19th. Ya they just started laying about 3-4 weeks ago. Ya they are all BO's. Is there anything i can do to speed up the process? I looked at there food they are getting 19%. Can i add something in there food?

5. PugetCountry

PugetCountry Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2013
    Olympia, WA
    I have 14 hens that were hatched in May and early June. The BO was the first to start laying the 1st week of January. I just had another one start laying last week and I think it's the black australorp. We have two BO same age but the other one hasn't started yet.

Our laying BO has been such a great layer so far. Like the PP mentioned they have a pattern more than a fixed shedule. I know with her I will either get an egg in the morning before 11 or the next day in the later afternoon. She's not every day but doesn't go more than every other day. And her eggs were beautiful and perfect and rather large from the first egg.

The black australorp has laid one almost every day and they've been perfect eggs too. I have 3 others doing a true squat so I'm betting the eggs are a comin'! They've been staying out about an hour and 10 minutes later as the days are getting lighter longer. But I have not used artificial light.

It will happen...I thought my hens were sterile because NONE will have started before 34 weeks but I'm finally making breakfast with our eggs:)

6. SelfMadeFarming

SelfMadeFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2013
    I have 5 girls all the same age.
    Only 1 is laying, she started a few weeks ago at 21 weeks old.

Hang in there, they will all be laying before you know it

7. kasiesmith

Jul 11, 2013
    Newbury Park, Ca
    Thank you all for the advice.

8. Alicatt

Alicatt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2013
    catskills, New York
    This time of year is tough, with nine hens I am getting three to five eggs a day. I also bought mine end of May, beginning of June. All my eggs are coming from my 2 austrolorps, my two Orpingtons and my brahma girl, in fact the orps are my most consistent layers so don't worry, I see Alot of eggs in your future! The Easter eggers, or Americauna have given me one egg in the last month, presumably because the days are not long enough. You could put a light on a timer in the coop, set it to turn on at 3 am, see if that helps, but as the days get longer you should start getting more eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by