got eggs in mail today, when do I put them in the bator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mothersin2ition, Aug 4, 2010.

1. mothersin2ition

mothersin2ition Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Othello, WA
    The paper said to wait 12-24 hrs after receiving them to incubate. But Im concerned because its been so hot, that they might have started growing a little already. So if I got them at 9am today, when should I put them in? Tonight at 9? or wait til tomorrow morning. /Do you really think waiting is worth it, or should I put em in right now (its 2pm).
    Hehe you can tell Im new at this! [​IMG]

2. peepswiththepoof

peepswiththepoof Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Rougemont, NC
    I've been waiting 10-12 hours before setting mine, and it seems to be working great. Also, make sure you have the shipped eggs sitting with the large end up.

3. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    I have started putting them directly in the bator as soon as I open the box with the heat we have been having...since I have started this my blood rings are about completely gone where before letting them sit out I was getting quite a few and only in shipped eggs.

4. mothersin2ition

Apr 2, 2008
    Othello, WA
    Okay thanks, I will put them in tonight sometime after 7pm (thats 10 hours). Oh and i do have them large end up. One more question, is today considered day 1 if I put them in tonight, or is tomorrow?

5. mothersin2ition

Apr 2, 2008
    Othello, WA
    crap! now I dont know what to do! LOL. Maybe I will put half in now and half in tonight lol. Ughh why do I drive myself crazy with the details?! [​IMG]

6. peepswiththepoof

May 19, 2010
    Rougemont, NC
    [​IMG] How about just put them in now...it'll be somewhere in the middle of both opinions! Also, tomorrow will be considered Day 1.

7. mothersin2ition

Apr 2, 2008
    Othello, WA
    Good advice! Heading to load up the bator now!

8. peepswiththepoof

May 19, 2010
    Rougemont, NC
    GOOOOOOD LUCK! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by