Got eggs in the mail. Are they okay?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Snipes, May 28, 2010.

1. Snipes

Snipes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    I'm a first timer and these are mallard eggs. It looks like all airsacs are at least a little detached. They move around a little bit, but they don't go far. I will set them at least 12 hours. I also was confused as to why the small end seemed to have a light area which I first took to be the air sac. Here are pictures of the 9 eggs. They are not shown all head up/down, just wherever I was holding. Can you tell me what you think of thier viability?
    Egg 1
    [​IMG]
    Egg 2
    [​IMG]
    Egg 3
    [​IMG]
    Egg 4
    [​IMG]
    Egg 5
    [​IMG]
    Egg 6
    [​IMG]
    Egg 7
    [​IMG]
    Egg 8
    [​IMG]
    Egg 9
    [​IMG]

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Egg number 8 looks most like what I would say they should look like - I guess all you can do is let them rest for a while before setting them in the incubator..And wait until you can tell with candling.

3. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Let them sit small end down for 12 hours then set them. Give them a chance, you never know what may happen. Great pics BTW, but I can't really tell with still pics. The light area in the bottom of the egg is the egg white. Picture a regular eating egg. The yolk only takes up a small part, the rest is the white and the aircell should be at the top.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by